• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Sample from my horror collection

Marcel Admiraal

Hello everybody,

I saw the opportunity was here to show some of my work. Below you will find a sample from my story 'On a night filled with Evil'. It's taken from my horror collection Beneath Dark Waters, which is now available.

Let me know what you think and I'll know what to look out for in the future. It can only help.

If you want more samples, check out:

Floating Robes: Free Stories

On a night filled with evil (sample)

Farmer Moses froze in the shadows as he realized the sound had been too real to be his imagination. He still heard the echo of it ringing in his ears. His eyes were now looking both in the same direction again and fixed themselves at the two stables. He tried to determine exactly from where it had come. It could not have been from the stables, it had sounded further away. But on the other hand, it could not have come from the land behind the stables either, since it had sounded much closer than that. He almost wished that it would sound again, so he could determine more accurately where it had come from. But all stayed silent.

Frustrated, the old farmer danced softly up and down on his slippers and chewed involuntarily on the inside of his cheeks. He sweat so much that it dripped into his own eyes and the finger around the trigger trembled.
“Come on,” he spoke softly to himself, trying to think. The stables were locked, there was nothing else in there but a bunch of tractors and wagons and ancient machinery. It was dusty and stale. There was nothing in there for anyone. So the sound had had to come from outside. But not from behind the stables, because it sounded closer.

And so he came to the inescapable conclusion that the sound must have come from between the two stables, from the darkest part where the light from the moon or the burning world did not reach, from the one place where he could not see.

“Right!” Moses said and startled himself with his own voice. He put a few firm paces in the general direction of the two stables and almost instantly the loud cracking sounded again, this time followed by a long slurping sound that stopped him dead in his tracks and made the sweat break out on his back. He strained his eyes, looking at the darkness, hoping to catch a glimpse of what was there. He felt his teeth searching for the flesh of his cheeks, but he managed to keep them still.
“Who is there?” he hissed inaudible.
“Who is there?” he repeated after he had scraped his throat.
“Who is there?” he heard his wife yell behind him.
Moses turned around on his heels so fast his head started spinning.
“Woman!” he snapped louder than he actually wanted to. “You scared me half to death!”

Samples taken from Beneath Dark Waters!
Now available from Floating Robes!
Floating Robes

Enjoy!

Back