• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Sara Gruen: Water For Elephants

n_maw

Maybe I just don't read deep enough into some books, but I need some enlightenment from those who have read Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen.

A book club question in the book is: Sara Gruen has said that the "backbone" of her novel "parallels the biblical story of Jacob," in the book of Genesis. On the first night after his leaving Cornell, for example, Jacob --- as did his biblical namesake --- lies "back on the bank, resting my head on a flat stone" (page 23). In what other ways does Water for Elephants parallel the story of the biblical Jacob? How do the names of many of the characters reflect names of characters in the biblical account?

This just went right over my head! What are your insights?

I can't answer those questions since it's been a few months since I read it, but I thought it was a great book taken at face value. I guess I don't read for the deeper meaning.

I can't answer those questions since it's been a few months since I read it, but I thought it was a great book taken at face value. I guess I don't read for the deeper meaning.

I'm with you, I really liked the book but have no idea how to apply that question to the book. Of course I'm not all that good with biblical reference and comparisons.

Hmmm . . . perhaps I should do some more research on this. Glad to know that I wasn't the only one who had no idea that it paralled the book. I enjoyed it for face value. Loved the ending. I won't give it away. Perfect though.

I was not aware of the parallels either but I did really enjoy this book. My three favorite parts where;
1. When they discovered the elephant was trained in a different language.
2. When the elephant killed the man who was mean to him.
3. The end where the old man joined the circus again. That made me feel good.

Parallels with the Biblical Jacob

I don't have a lot of parallels, but here are a couple:

Bib. Jacob fiercely loved Rachel; JJ fiercely loved Marlena
Bib. Jacob was good with animals; JJ is good with animals.

Camel is a name that would be significant to desert-dwelling Bib. Jacob.

I really liked this book.

Same here. I really enjoyed this book. I'm a big animal lover, so Walter's connection with the elephant was touching. I know a lot of people have problems reading the animal abuse though.

I think I'll buy this book. I found a good price in an on line shop.

As far as I know, this is a good drama story, isn't it?

I love serious subjects related with drama. I've also read that Sara Gruen fights for the animals' rights or something alike.

Back