• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Sarah Dunant: Birth of Venus

Prairie_Girl

I just finished this last night. As with the last novel by Dunant I read In The Company of the Courtesan I was very taken by the characters throughout the story until the last 40 pages or so when I just got annoyed and felt let down. Not even that the ending wasn't what I wanted, because with this book you kind of have an idea at the end by the end of the prologue. IT was that it wasn't well written. Also
Allessandra entering a convent just seemed completely unrealistic for her character. Even a "liberal" convent like this one.
Also, I felt like she speant her entire life after Kristoforo pining for the painter. Also, what was with
The Painter and her daughter just dissapearing.
it's like "but then the letters stopped coming and I have not heard from them for some years now" (pg. 401) it just seemed like a convenient way for her to wrap it up.
overall, I did enjoy reading it, but not really a book that I would revisit. Anyone else?

i read the book and iagree, really, her entering the convent was unnecessary. when she said she would enter a convent that she dreamed of at the end of part 1 i think, i thought it was some kind of metaphor. i've also read Courtesan, and enjoyed that too for all the research she did and how captivating it was. But i agree there are some parts of birth of venus that seem uncharacteristic.

btw, I actually met sarah dudnant. she came to ann arbor

Back