• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Sarah Dunant: In the Company of the Courtesan

Anamnesis

From Publisher Weekly's review:

[A] wily dwarf Bucino Teodoldo recounts fantastic escapades with his mistress, celebrated courtesan Fiammetta Bianchini. Escaping the 1527 sacking of Rome with just the clothes on their backs (and a few swallowed jewels in their bellies), Fiammetta and Bucino seek refuge in Venice. Starved, stinking, her beauty destroyed, Fiammetta despairs—but through cunning, will, Bucino's indefatigable loyalty and the magic of a mysterious blind healer called La Draga, she eventually recovers. Aided by a former adversary, who now needs her as much as she needs him, Fiammetta finds a wealthy patron to establish her in her familiar glory.

I mostly liked this novel. The author's descriptions of the sights and smells were beautifully realized and her portrayal of Venice was, on the whole, vividly realized. Her characters were also fun--the narrator of the book, Bucino, had a wicked wit. However the story's conclusion left something to be desired. Originally focusing on Fiametta and Bucino's struggles to keep afloat in Venetian society, Dunant then chronicles Bucino's obsession with their healer. This switch did not feel genuine to the story's development and felt like the author didn't have much of an idea on how to conclude her novel.

So if you're looking for a sumptously written historical melodrama, then by all means pick up this book. Those looking for a tightly written plot should look elsewhere.

1.) I really shouldn't have used the word "realized" twice.

2.) I should've noticed this much earlier.

Back