• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Scene from my vampire novel

ValkyrieRaven88

Okay, this is supposed to be funny. It's really inserted as comic relief not long after something more serious in a scene far away from the two main characters. One or two things will make more sense if you realize they're vampires.
Anyway, I just wanted to make sure other people found this as funny as my friend said he did...I could use criticism from someone who isn't so close to me. :)
***​
Nikolai stood in his room, buttoning up his shirt and expecting to surprise Erin. It didn’t come extremely often that he surprised her with anything; occasionally he’d buy her candy or roses or something; maybe take her out for dinner and buy her CD’s on her birthday or Valentine’s Day. More often, it was Erin who did things that Nikolai didn’t expect, usually convincing him to do it as well. Riding the fastest roller coaster at the amusement park, dancing in the rain, going to the Rocky Horror Picture Show…things that shocked him, things he wasn’t used to. But things that weren’t at all unpleasant.
Except for Rocky Horror, he added silently. That was just too much. But this was going to be different. He was fully expecting a surprised reaction out of her.
The door was open, and he distinctly saw Erin walking down the hallway. “Erin!” he said.
She poked her head in the room, not stepping in even though she could do so without invitation. “Are you decent?” she joked, covering her eyes.
He glared slightly. “Ha ha, very funny,” he said flatly, trying to sound annoyed. But he was unable to hide a faint trace of humor in his voice. Erin never failed to make him smile, even when he wanted so badly not to. “Yes, I’m decent. Now get in here.”
Erin removed her hands, smiling widely, and obeyed. “What is it?” she asked.
Nikolai held out his arms as if to emphasize something. Erin stared blankly. He sighed. “Don’t you notice anything different?”
“Nope, just your usual sexy self,” she replied.
He fought the smile. “Come on, there’s something you should be happy about. Look harder,” he encouraged her.
She tilted her head to the side, looking honestly puzzled. “Um, new cologne?” she guessed.
Nikolai shook his head almost sadly. “No, come on. It’s something you’ve been pestering me about.”
Erin ran her eyes over him again, scanning carefully, then sighed deeply, apparently finding nothing. “Clue me in here, Niko. I’m lost. What exactly is it I’m supposed to be happy about?”
“Look at my shirt,” he said.
She looked. “Well, how silly of me. It’s a shirt, as I can clearly see now. And here I was, thinking you only wore bikini tops.”
“It’s not black or white,” Nikolai said, a little irritably.
Erin stared at him almost dumbly. “Point being…?”
Nikolai’s voice raised a little more in frustration. “You’ve been asking me to start wearing something besides black! Well, this shirt isn’t black.”
Erin frowned skeptically. “I suppose you want me to congratulate you for wearing dark gray,” she said slowly, almost uncertainly.
“Took you long enough,” Nikolai said, smiling now.
She sighed. “Niko, you have managed to completely miss my point.”
“No, I didn’t. I’m not wearing black.”
“When I asked you to wear something other than black, I meant I wanted you to wear color!” Erin and Nikolai stood there staring at each other, both waiting for the other to move. It was Erin who finally gave an exasperated cry, throwing the door open and walking out, and it was hard to tell whether she was laughing or crying…or both.
Left to himself, Nikolai stared blankly at the door for several seconds. “Gray’s a color,” he said quietly, straightening his collar.

Indeed, it IS funny, specially that last part.

Left to himself, Nikolai stared blankly at the door for several seconds. “Gray’s a color,” he said quietly, straightening his collar.

That guy's junt dumb, but I like it that way.
Good job, man! You made my life happy for a while.;)

I know people where this would be a true conversation. That is not funny, just sad (what is even sadder, is that he went out and spent good money for that shirt thinking that it would make her happy).

Oh ValkyrieRaven, that's delightful and very funny, especially knowing they are vampires.

ValkryrieRaven said:

I just love this :D

That was good! I liked how you built up the anticipation of the surprise the vampire has planned until halfway through (it kind of spoils some of the humor if you say it straight out near the beginning).

The first paragraph could use a little bit of editing when it comes to wording/word choice, but otherwise it is really good!

Thanks everyone. Nikolai is rich, so the money he spent isn't that big of a deal. He's not really stupid in general, but he doesn't get Erin's explanations of fashion. I guess you could say he thinks it's silly that people base their clothes around what is "in style" and things like that.

This is a funny passage. Hopefully, you can incorporate it into your novel in a spot where some filling in on the characters might be helpful! I can't wait to hear it when you're finished. (hint, hint)

Vespertilio91 said:
This is a funny passage. Hopefully, you can incorporate it into your novel in a spot where some filling in on the characters might be helpful! I can't wait to hear it when you're finished. (hint, hint)
XD. We've been over this before. I will be RANTING and talking your ears off with excitement when I am done.

ValkyrieRaven88 said:
XD. We've been over this before. I will be RANTING and talking your ears off with excitement when I am done.

I know you'll be ranting when you finish. SO FINISH ALREADY!:D I want to read it. I want to read it. I want to read it. NOW!:eek: Now I'm ranting over when you'll rant when you finish the novel. WE ARE SO WEIRD!;)

BFF:D

Back