• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Sci-fi A-Z

U as in 'Um I can't think of anything that starts with U other than Unicorn...Hmmm, theres a Unicorn in the Amber series...

"It bore a white unicorn on a green field, rampant, facing the dexter.
And I knew that device and it hurt me that I could not name it."
--Corwin, Nine Princes in Amber

Best I could do. How 'bout V? Anyone?

S T U V W X

War of the Worlds - HG Wells

For U

The Urth of the New Sun - Gene Wolfe (had to do a search though)

Edit: Beat me to it with the Oponn :)

The Zimiamvian Trilogy by E. R. Eddison

Saved the best for last a great series containing

Mistress of Mistresses
A Fish Dinner in Memison
The Mezentian Gate

To really start out with Eddison you should read "The Worm Ouroboros" first. Though it does not tie into this trilogy it is his best work and finished unlike the last book of the Zimiamvian trilogy which was left as is and published after his death.

Why not write a brief comment about the book, theme, good / bad etc. 1 or 2 sentances only.

The Dragonbone Chair by Tad Williams .

Pretty much standard fantasy. Good vs Evil. A mad king. A princess, magic, a young kitchen boy (read future hero) that goes on a journey of self discovery as he matures during his trek to various parts of the world as he battles on the side of good (of course).

A enjoyable book if you like fantasy, not the best but worth the $$$ if you find it in a second hand book shop, or even at the library.

Echoes of the Great Song - David Gemmell

Personnally my favourite Gemmell novel, something a bit different from his standard hero story. Interesting characters and setting. Very tradgic feel and well worth reading.

Fahrenheit 451 -- Ray Bradbury

Whoa...political book regarding censorship. Books are outlawed and TV rules supreme. One man--a fireman--actually begins to think...and it just goes to heck after that. Ita a classic, excellent read.

The Giver - Lois Lowry.

Classic children's story of a "perfect" future community, where there is no war, hunger, etc. Of course there is a dark underside to this paradise, especially if you step out of line ... This is a really good book (which I read and enjoyed as an adult!) :)

House Atriedes - Brian Herbert and Kevin J. Anderson.

First of 3 Prelude to Dune series

Set before 'Dune', this prequel details the Leto Atriedes rises to power and his struggles with House Harkonan and Corrino. A very good book which tells us where the main characters from Dune came from and explains their motivations. Well worth the read, although knowing what happens in Dune and the subsequent books does detract from it slightly.

Back