• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Sci Fi or Fantasy Favourites

My favorite Fantasy/Sci-fi book is:

I find that my favorite fantasy/sci-fi books are part of a series by Phillip Pullman. The series is entitiled "His Dark Materials". The first book in the series is called The Golden Compass. I highly recommend the books -- they are fantastic.

Or for those of you in the UK the Pullman books are called:
Northern Lights
The Subtle Knife, and
The Amber Spyglass

Mxx

Wait a minute!

So, in the US, the Philip Pullman series starts of with 'The Golden Compass', and in the UK it starts of with 'Northern Lights'? Can I assume that, if this is the case, this counts for mainland Europe as well?

Another question. Are there three novels in his 'Dark Materials' series? Northern Lights, the Subtle Knife, and The Amber Spyglass? Or are there more?

Last question (honestly). Can someone tell me somehing about these stories, what are they about and stuff?!

Cheers, Martin :D

I don't know what they are about as I haven't read them yet, and don't want to read the reviews on cow and chicken in case there are spoilers, but yes, it is just a trilogy.

He does have other books out written for the 'older children' category but have no idea if they are any good.

Mxx

I've read the "Dark Materials" trilogy and his The Ruby in the Smoke . The trilogy is really something. I can't really say what it is about without giving the ending away, but I will say that the "ride" is better than the destination (a common problem in speculative fiction). In any event, it is a very thought-provoking series with some unique characters.
The Ruby in the Smoke is one of his books for "young adults". It is good, though I would put others in the genre slightly ahead. Precocious kids in Victorian London take on various bad guys.

So what you're saying is, the 'Dark Materials'-trilogy is a good read, but the end is a bit of a letdown. Can't say that that encourages me to read them in the near future...

So, please, somebody convince me?!

I don't really think that the ending is a "letdown". It may be that I have an over-developed attachment to neat and tidy endings. But, when you see what's at stake in the plot, a neat and tidy ending was probably impossible. I didn't mean for my reaction to sound tepid. They are wonderful books, and full of many layers of meaning. Thematically, the trilogy deals with all sorts of issues from environmentalism to sexual awareness, from scientific responsibility to theology, etc.
By all means read them.

Oh, good. Good to hear that. If it's one thing I can't stand, it's an excellent book which gets ruined by a mediocre ending. It always makes me feel like it wasn't worth the effort.

So it's good to hear the ending ISN'T a letdown. Thanks for that. I'll be sure to check them out at some point.

Just to put my two-pennorth in on the His Dark Materials trilogy: they are excellent books and the ending is certainly not a let down. I was just annoyed and fed up because what I wanted to happen, didn't. This doesn't mean I felt let down by it all - as someone once said, you can't always get what you want! :D

I want to read The Hitch-hikers guide to the Galaxy!!!!!!! i loved The Lord of the Rings; The Hobbit was stupid; Crown Duel and Court Duel by Sherwood Smith were wonderful! My friends recommend Guardians of Ga'Hoole series by Kethryn Lasky, but they don't look like my sort of book. I love The Royal Diaries series, but that's not counted as Sci-Fi or Fantasy. Is it? MEH!

Back