• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

sci-fi recommendations

joeblanco

I have recently been in a dry spell. Can't seem to figure out how to pick out new books to read. Thought I would see if any of you have any recommendations.

My favorite sci-fi books so far have been:
Across Realtime (Vernor Vinge)
Ringworld, Ringworld Engineers (Larry Niven)
Red Mars, Trilogy (Kim Stanley Robinson)

I am looking for more books on the future of mankind/space travel. Those make me all warm and fuzzy.

Didn't much care for the Foundation books. Don't like all the politics that went on in those books, found that a bit dry.

Have Seeker (Jack Mcdevitt) and the first two Hyperion books on order.

Please, Please, Please, any help provided would be absolutely welcome.
We're talking undying gratitude... Seriously... Are you laughing at me?:D

Considering what you like, I'd give these a shot:

-Iain M. Bank's Culture sequence:

Consider Phlebas (
The Player of Games

The State of the Art (collection)
Use of Weapons
Excession
Inversions
Look to Windward

He has other non-culture related works:

Against a Dark Background
Feersum Endjinn
The Algebraist

-Peter F. Hamilton's Nightsdawn Trilogy:

The Reality Dysfunction
The Neutronium Alchemist
The Naked God

or his Common Wealth Saga:

Pandora's Star
Judas Unchained

- John C. Wright's Golden AgeTrilogy:

The Golden Age
Phoenix Exultant
The Golden Transcendence

You probably want to check out Ken Macleod, Adam Roberts, and Alastair Reynolds as well.

I don't know if this is exactly what you are looking for, but I just finished up Peter F. Hamilton's Commonwealth Saga, which consists of these two books:

Pandora's Star
Judas Unchained

These novels have a little bit of everything you could ask for in a sci-fi novel. In terms of spaceflight/colonization, this novel is pretty cool. There are hundreds of planets all around Earth that have been colonized thanks to a worm hole technology that was invented in about the mid 21st century. Therefore, it takes mere minutes to go between planets. Plus, the novel has rejuvination and cloning which allows for eternal life.

The only issue some have is the length. Together they are around...probaly 1500 pages (hardcover).

If you don't mind a longer book, give them a shot.

try isaac asimovs foundation series, that should keep you going for the next 5 years and they are awesome!!! ive read the lot over the years and i'm seriously considering starting them again.....

Peter F. Hamilton's Nightsdawn Trilogy, definately this one, or his other books.

Also have a look at Arthur C Clarke He has written some truly great novels, if you like Ringworld, try the Rama Series of books, or Imperial Earth. I read his books in my youth, not all of them as he has over 70 published.

yo joe if you like space human advancement wotnot

try "The Meek"
it's great, but you'd have to order it. I read it and the author is a master of suspense and scifi
man who lives on asteroids , huge cities and a race that builds up these utopias so to speak
and alien humanoid beings
the author sets the stage very good
brings life to the unbelieveable

I forget the author but it's a Roc book

More Recs

Since you already like Niven, then I would definitely recommend Protector; it was one of my favorite books by him. Ringworld Engineers was, I think, at least as good as its precursor so you should try that as well. There's a lot of space travel in both. Beyond space travel by Niven, there's the Integral Trees which I thought was great.

Vernor Vinge's A Deepness In the Sky was excellent, but there were some politics to it. The politics, for me, were some of the better facets of the book, though.

Of course, if you've never read the Gateway series by Frederick Pohl, then you should rush out to the nearest library or store and get 'em post-haste. Those books were an addicting and easy read.

There's also the sequel to The Integral Trees, The Smoke Ring.
If you like new world settling mixed with fearsome xeno-biology, try The Legacy of Heorot and the sequel, The Dragons of Heorot. (Niven, Barnes & Pournelle)

Gateway by Fredrik Pohl

If you want to read a very good trilogy, you could read Gateway bu Fredrik Pohl, its just great. a kind of space opera. If you want the books just mail me and ill mail them to you.:) Have fun reading!

David Brin has written a terrific series of books (the Uplift novels) that posit excellent extrapolations into the future, with apes and dolphins cast as well-realized characters along with a multitude of alien races. Some people start with Sun Diver, but I say go right to Startide Rising, which is almost a standalone, then The Uplift War. By then you'll know whether you want to take on a full-blown trilogy: Brightness Reef, Infinity's Shore, and Heaven's Reach. IMHO, this is the work for which Brin will be remembered.

Stephen R. Donaldson's "Gap Series" is a big favorite of mine but might not be everyone's cup of tea. Titles are: The Gap Into Conflict: The Real Story, The Gap Into Vision: Forbidden Knowledge, A Dark and Hungry God Arises: The Gap Into Power, Chaos and Order: The Gap Into Madness, This Day All Gods Die: The Gap Into Ruin. Adults only, you've been warned.

I just finishes a book called The Time Ships by Stephen Baxter. Its kind of a follow up to Time Machine. I couldnt put it down. I finished it in two days.

This Alien Shore by C.S. Friedman

Best book she's ever written, hands down.

Also one of the best Sci-Fi books I've ever read. Succeeds in every catagory you can think of to describe a book - atmosphere, character development, plot - it's all there.

The only downside to reading this is you'll immmediately look for a sequal or another book she's written of similar quality. Be prepared to be disappointed.

Back