• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Science Fiction

a couple more authors that haven't been mentioned yet that i enjoyed:
The Mote in God's Eye
Ringworld
Footfall
all with Larry Niven and some with Jerry Pournelle

I also liked the NorthWorld series by David Drake

The Forbidden Borders by Michael Gear

and some of Modesitt's Ecologic Envoy series are alright

Alan Dean Foster

and a whole lot of others
if short stories or anthologies are up your alley then
there are tons by Lester Del Rey, Cordwainer Smith, Heinlein, Stanley Kornbluth....and the list goes on

Hi all,

I agree with the recomendations for Forever War and The Stars my Destination - both brilliant.

In terms of originality i would suggest Stand on Zanzibar by John Brunner. I've still never read anything like it. But the writing is ( i guess you could say) avant garde - so maybe not for those looking for a simple linear story.

Or: A Canticle for Leibowitz, which is great too (and no lasers / space fights / computer viruses / robots / aliens. Although some people seem to have a problem with its portrayal of religion - or that a SF book has any religion in at all!)

Just though of one more: Star Maker by Olaf Stapledon - its been around forever, but is still unique.

What you think of as original tho? Have you been reading mostly Space Opera or Cyberpunk stuff?
I make a special effort nowadays to avoid getting in a subgenre rut (after reading too many books set on Mars in a row!).

Yobmod X

Back