• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Science Fiction

Dudette

Has anyone read any science fiction books which they found really origonal?It was my favourite genre as a beginner reader. Recently I tried to go back to it, but i feel like each story is a little 'samey'. Maybe i've just been reading te wrong books??? I remember reading I Robot and thinking it was good but that was about five years ago.

Recently finished The Forever War and can't recommend it enough. Pretty rough going at first (it's about war after all), but totally absorbing and worth it in the end. Here's my review.

I must say I was very disappointed with Forever War. I had heard so much of how great it, but when I came to read the book it left me cold.

I found the writing to be dull. The characters to be uninteresting cliches. Maybe because, for me, it was so dated. Oh yeah, another book about Nam.

Different strokes for different folks :)

Do you read much SF in general wabbit? I think you'd have to be into the genre to enjoy The Forever War, as the main plot vehicle (the interstellar jumps) is the sci-fi bit.

Richard Morgan - Altered Carbon
the sci-fi element adds a fascinating twist to the classic whodunnit.

Alastair Reynolds - Revelation Space
the modern Arthur Clark. Later books in the series are a bit weaker, but every moment of this books crackles with excitement. Plenty of interesting ideas, if not massively original.

Dan Simmons - Ilium
Sci-fi reworking of the Iliad, fantastic stuff.

I also liked Hyperion and its sequel by Dan Simmons. That's part Sci Fi, part fantasy, really.

Martin said:
The hitchhiker's Guide and almost everything by Michael Marshall Smith.

Cheers

I read 'Only Forward' last week, and I have to say that it was absolutely brilliant. It started off as a future-detective story written by a more streetwise Douglas Adams, but took a thoroughly surreal turn about half-way through. Incredibly funny, and an excellent read, if rather foul-mouthed in places (read: throughout)

Otherwise, Isaac Asimov's 'Foundation' series, is superb, especially the first three - the break between them and the last two is painfully obvious. Also, Olaf Stapledon's 'Last and First Men,' not a novel, but a history of the future of humanity in its entirety. Thoroughly interesting, well-thought out, displaying a strong understanding of causation and historical accident, and, though written in 1930, predicts such advances as genetic manipulation and 'Americanization,' the growing cultural dominance of the USA. Definitely worth reading.

booksblog.co.uk said:
Different strokes for different folks :)

Do you read much SF in general wabbit? I think you'd have to be into the genre to enjoy The Forever War, as the main plot vehicle (the interstellar jumps) is the sci-fi bit.

Yeah, I do read quite a bit of SF. A few years ago I was reading nothing but SF and Fantasy, so it's not like I am not aquainted with the genre :)

But yeah, each to their own! :) *raises glass of carrot juice*

Themistocles said:
I read 'Only Forward' last week, and I have to say that it was absolutely brilliant. It started off as a future-detective story written by a more streetwise Douglas Adams, but took a thoroughly surreal turn about half-way through. Incredibly funny, and an excellent read, if rather foul-mouthed in places (read: throughout)
It's good, isn't it? You should read Spares, too. It's a bit samey, but it has some brilliant and highly imaginitive ideas in there!

Oh, and has someone already mentioned Philip K. Dick?

Cheers

Has anyone read any Alfred Bester? I had 'The Stars my Destination' recommended to me by some random friendly guy whilst browsing in Waterstones', and it seems to be critically acclaimed from many quarters, so I was wondering if there was a second opinion on offer.

I should be able to let you know in a month or so... "The Stars my Destination" is number 5 in the Millenium SF Masterworks series which I'm working my way through :)

Themistocles said:
Has anyone read any Alfred Bester? I had 'The Stars my Destination' recommended to me by some random friendly guy whilst browsing in Waterstones', and it seems to be critically acclaimed from many quarters, so I was wondering if there was a second opinion on offer.

Personally, I think that The Demolished Man is a better book than The Stars My Destination. I have it in an anthology that I read years ago and it's one of the very first stories that captured my imagination and dragged me into the deep dark pit of sci fi addiction. Saying that, TSMD is still good, but TDM is blumming brillant. Both have in common that the protagonist is a very naughty man, but he's so much more likeable in TDM and a thoroughly nasty piece of work in TSMD. I like my villains to have a bit of charm to them.

When I read The Demolished Man I was probably only about 12 or so, and I still have the little song the guy sings running around in my head. It made a really big impact on me. Go get that one instead.

Oponn said:
Anyone that enjoyed Starship Troopers, I reccomend The Forever War by Joe Haldeman.
To fully appreciate Forever Wars, Starship Troopers should be read first.

Other recommendations: two new books by solid writers.

Bones of the Earth by Michael Swanwick. Jurassic Park meets time travel. A group of paleontologists is marooned in the Mezazoic, developing a startling theory about dinosaur extinction.

Singularity Sky by Christopher Stross. Cellphones fall from the sky inviting all to "tell me a story" and granting any wish in return. Amazing brash storytelling, FTL warfare, and networked intelligences.

O

Dudette said:
Has anyone read any science fiction books which they found really origonal?It was my favourite genre as a beginner reader. Recently I tried to go back to it, but i feel like each story is a little 'samey'. Maybe i've just been reading te wrong books??? I remember reading I Robot and thinking it was good but that was about five years ago.

You should try the Reality Disfunction By Peter Hamilton, i liked it more than Ender´s Game.

I highly recommend Stars of My Destination (or Tiger! Tiger!) by Alfred Bester. Also Mona Lisa Overdrive or Neuromancer by William Gibson.

Stars of My Destination (original title was Tiger! Tiger!) is given credit as being William Gibson's biggest influences in his creation of Cyberpunk genre. It's very easy reading and I thought thoroughly enjoyable. One of my favorite books.

Neuromancer - entertaining, intelligent and oozes "cool" out of every letter

Dune - old, but still classic and will probably never feel dated.

Dan Simmon's Hyperion books - some aspects not all that original I s'pose but all highly enjoyable and well written.

You could also argue that virtually anything by H.G. Wells was original I suppose.

Kev

Back