• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Screw That. Lets Try Again

Nightshade

I've just writtten a brand new begiinning to my vamp story. Dont worry, it's short....

Eternal Night

Chapter 1 – Undead

I lay sleeping in the dark closet like an unwanted dog. For that was all I was to them.
Memories of my birth are unnaturally clear, as if they were lived just yesterday. My ears pounded with the sound of a raging storm mixed with that of my mother’s murderous screams. When I was born, the nurse took me in her arms.
She smiled at me at first then frowned.
“Doctor, is this natural?”
An elderly man came over and looked at my silently still form. He listened for a heartbeat, but of course there was none.
He looked at me in confusion, seeing my dark eyes looking back at him, fooling him of life. The doctor shook his head.
“Must be the storm,” he said, as rain hit the roof like bullets. “It’s throwing me off.”
The nurse nodded, looking at me again. “But it’s still peculiar that she didn’t cry.” Then her bright smile returned. “She’s a beautiful baby girl though.” She looked at my mother, her black hair sticking damp to her face. “Do you want to hold her?”
“You can throw it in the river, all I care. Just keep it away from me,” she snapped coldly.
The nurse was stunned. She turned away awkwardly and put me into a small basket.
My father smiled fondly at my mother. “Violet, dear, she may come of use to us some day.”
“She’s no use to us now, as a pathetic runt.”
The nurse rearranged the blankets covering me, trying to block out the heartless banter. She was a soft soul in a cold world. That only brings a swift death.
My father moved toward the nurse and myself. He looked down at me, a bored expression upon his face.
“Sophie will do for her,” he said, almost with bitter amusement.
“Yes, that’s a beautiful name,” the nurse stammered.
My father grinned. “Are you ready to go, my dear?”
My mother sat up, looking unnaturally refresh considering she had just given birth. She returned the smile. “Yes.”
In the blink of an eye, my father snapped the nurse’s head back and bit down upon her neck, piercing the skin with sharp fangs.
The doctor stepped back in horror, delaying himself a second. That was all it took. The woman who gave birth to me was across the room in a flash. A crack sounded as she snapped the doctor’s neck. Though the memory is clear, I forget how I felt. Was I horrified and disgusted? Was I filled with an unbearable hunger? Or was I like a human infant, unaware of the carnage that took place? That would be impossible, for I was not a human infant. I was born dead.

Nightshade, why did you change the opening? It sounds like you are going in a totally different direction (in terms of characters) from your previous start. This one is much more visceral and seems to be setting the reader up for lots of blood and gore whereas your other opening held more possibilities. I guess it depends on what you're trying to achieve.

re:

The story isnt changing at all, really. This is just me starting out with the vamp point of view. In my previous version, they flashed back to her past. I like this way better, sicne it's not so rushed and a bit more descriptive. The other beginning wasnt as much as an attention getter. Sometimes its alright to start a book off with a spot of gore. lol. It is a vamp book after all

The other beginning wasnt as much as an attention getter. Sometimes its alright to start a book off with a spot of gore. lol. It is a vamp book after all
Got my attention, alright! Didn't mean it's a bad thing, just different from the first version. I like vampire books. :D

Btw, have you read I Am Legend by Richard Matheson? Terrific vampire story.

Back