• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Searching for a Meaningful Book

Evante49

I have a good friend who got me a very nice gift for X-mas this year and I wanted to return the favor. But I don't really want anything on the Best Sellers list.

Now I'll give some information.

He's a misunderstood person. He has a lot of difficulties in his life whether at home or at school or at his job. All in all though, he's not a bad guy or anything. He just made some decisions that aren't all that awful that have socially condemned him. I'm the only person he's ever really opened up to and I know that he has a passion for reading deep meaningful novels with a strong philosophical message.

I don't really think anything with a pro-religious message is appropriate. Nor any "fast-written, fast-selling" trash that stocks the shelves these days. As I said, I'm looking for a book with a deep message.

A good example would be Robert Heinlein's Stranger in a Strange Land , but my friend has read that.

I've heard things about The Brothers Karamazov and how it practically holds the answer to everything in life, but I've not yet read it.

Any help is much appreciated.

Happy Holidays

You might try Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance or Jack Kerouac's Desolation Angels . Both really seem, to me, to fit the criteria.

I'll look at those.

Right now I have The Brothers Karamazov and And Ass Saw the Angel in my shopping cart. They look pretty good.

Back