• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Sebastian Barry: A Long Long Way

Clara

Barry gives us the story of Willie Dunne, a young man who leaves Dublin to fight in the First World War. It provides a harrowing image of life in the trenches. Barry's description of mustard gas was especially memorable for me:

"There had been no warning barrage and the dense smoke didn't look too threatening. It was beautiful in a way, the yellow seemed to boil about, and sink into whatever craters it was offered, and then rise again with the march of the main body of smoke." (page 44)

This is much more than a war story though. Barry also explores the political context behind the Irish involvement in the war and the uncertainties that this caused for the soldiers and their families. Even more than this, the story has a human focus. Barry's characterisations are strong and when characters are killed, I felt the heartache that Willie felt. Barry also lets us into Willie's relationship with his fellow soldiers and family and in particular with the complex relationship Willie has with his father and girlfriend. It was this human element to the story that I found most compelling.

Barry has a beautiful style of writing that conveys the camaraderie between the soldiers and allowed me to feel I standing next to Willie all the way.

I thoroughly recommend this book. Please don't be put off by the 'war' side of it. This is not a mere war story.

Back