• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Sebastian Faulks

The only book I've read from Faulks is Charlotte Grey. Although it wasn't a fantastic read (6.5/10), it has one of the most beautiful lines to have ever been written in the English Language, I feel.

Why was I so fearful? She had time only to phrase the question to herself before sleep unpicked its grammar.

wow....

*Sigh* Too bad that was the one and only gem in that book.

It was recently ANZAC day here, which is officially the commemoration of the landing at Gallipoli in WWI but the Australian troops, but has come to represent all the soldiers. It is different from Remembrance Day (11/11), however, which is more about remembering war than the troops themselves (or that's my definition, anyway). I found myself remembering the stories of the troops in this book, and imagining how it would feel to be so sunk into the mud and thick with lice, and for what? I'm still pondering the significance of the war in the first place.

But getting back to the book, there were some things that wrankled me a little, however. [.

I agree with you on both counts - The Aussies really respect their old soldiers, and there has been a revival in interest in their experiences recently amongst young people which is brilliant. The British have a bit of a tradition of ignoring old soldiers - like you say, Remembrance Day is more to do with remembering about the war as an event than celebrating and mourning the men who fought.

I really enjoyed Birdsong, but also found bits of it slightly implausible. I don't know how to do the spoiler thing so I won't say any more, except I would still recommend it as a good read.

Back