• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Second hand bookshops

I love going to second hand book stores. But I buy new as well.

That's right, I go both ways. :eek:

RaVeN

I used to buy loads of second-hand books but I only buy new ones now - there arent any second-hand bookshops all that close after we moved. :(

Phil

I haven't found a secondhand bookstore that have books written in english, I mostly have to order my books online in order to get them in english.
But I would buy them secondhand, it would be nice to save some money.

I buy secondhand, unless I love the author or just happen to be in need of a book and only new books are available. I'm not a fan of libraries and attempt to avoid them. I'm also lucky in that the Green Valley Bookfair is closeby and provides a big selection of new books, where you can get a new hardback for $4-$6. Its fantastic.

Not an answer, but a question

bobbyburns said:
whatch'all readin' for?

Imagine if such a person lived in a culture that has one word for tree, one word for woman, one word for walking, and no words for memory or posterity or guilt or ambition. Such limitations throughout the language.

Could you represent your existence verbally in that language? Could you do it better visually? If you used a broad English vocabulary, how would the verbal representation change?

I love a bargain,and there are lots of great second-hand bookshops around here, but there is something wonderful about a Brand New Book...sigh! :)

Wolhay said:
VTChEwbecca, what makes you want to avoid libraries?

I don't like time limits on my books. Of course, I read them under the timelimit, but I don't like them to be there. And they're entirely too quiet. Libraries are not places that make me want to read...they're almost too impersonal. Mind you, I even worked in one and still feel this way.

I love my 2ndhand bookstore chain - they stock the most amazing things at, most importantly, the most amazing prizes. I loved visiting Oxfam while I was in UK too - though the selection wasn't great.

ds

I got to used bookstores! I haven't been to one in a while, but I really like them. One day my friend and I decided to check out all the ones in town. One was about 70% Christian stuff and Christian Romance Novels (I had no idea such things existed). Another was very good, and has been in the city for years, and there was one just four shops away that I love! It's called The Book Alley and the shelves are hand made and are very close together and crammed with books and there's even little bridges at the top of the shelves to hold more books. It's always fun to go there and there's also a box of books near the counter so that when you buy a few books, you can pick out a few from the box for free.

There are quite a few second hand bookstores in my city (Adelaide, Australia) and friends of mine recently got me hooked on going to booksales in local town halls. They happen every other month or so, run by various different charities, libraries and bookstores, and you can pick up second hand books for next to nothing. The books range in condition but you can always find something interesting. I generally come home with a box full.

Back