• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Self-Promotion Forum Discussion

No, I don't get any flak, and I shouldn't. I've been around nearly 6 years, trying to help new writers learn to write and more accomplished writers learn to publish and promote, while I'm doing the same thing, learning as I go. I'm on 3 other writers forums, doing the same thing. I try to make my critiques and comments thoughtful and helpful.

Yes, I'm self-promoting and don't see anything wrong with it. I've shared my successes, failures (and even fought with other members), and being published and promoting is part of being a writer, which is who I am. I don't look for the forum members to buy my books, but I hope a reader might pass by someday and look at my thread.

However, I would not have promoted my books here if a specific section hadn't already existed. On other forums, which did not have self-promotion threads, I got permission from moderators before posting.

I don't mind new writers coming here to promote, either. Let's give them credit for their ingenuity and drive, even wish them good luck with their books.

But the ones who come here under false pretenses SHOULD be ridiculed and driven away. They're assuming we're too stupid to see through their little ruse, like the guy a few weeks ago who wanted everyone to buy books from this author he admired on the same day (to boost his Amazon ranking), just because the author is a great guy and a superb writer. I jumped on him, too, and even lampooned him with my own free book offer.

So my opinion is to keep the section, but I'm not a mod and have no idea how much extra work this might mean. If it harms the rest of the forum, then eliminate it.

JohnB

The only extra work is moving threads around, deleting the odd threads, merging, and perhaps sending out a warning or two if people persist. That's about it. It's not the policing bit that bothers me, it's more the authors coming on here pretending to be a random fan of a newly published work. Those are usually the ones that will plaster the entire forum with advertisements. That is annoying.

I don't see any value in having another self-pub area. There's already a place where you can post writing samples, which is a better way of advertising to people who might be interested in reading your book than a generic, "I just published book X" thread ever could. The writing advice portion of the board is both an excellent tool for feedback and a rather generous advertising opportunity that the board gives to authors. As for all self pubs coming to advertise, yeah, it's probably true. I initially found this place while trying to promote my book but ended up staying because I liked the environment, namely that this place isn't boring like most of the other reader's boards out there. Anyway.

Back