• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Selling your books

M

member 737

Have you ever - and why - sold any of your books? If so, was it hard to part with them or were you rather happy that you could get rid of them?

I gave a load of books to a charity shop when I was moving from Scotland to London and didn't have room for them. That's probably the only time I've given them away as a group.

I don't bother selling them, if a friend wants to read a book that I have I usually give it to them and don't expect it back. If they can find someone else who wants to read it, by all means pass it on.

Mxx

Most of the books goes to charity shops. Sometimes I gave my books to my mum and best mate. My work collegue and I swap our books when we finished this book to give it back. I never sold the books to anybody.

I couldn't part with my books. I always select them very carefully, so they aren't ones I would ever want to part with anyway.

When my dad died we put his good books away, and sent some of the ones we didn't want to charity. He read a lot of war books, and they aren't our type, so we figured someone else would probably appreciate them more.

I never loan books to people any more. I learned the hard way when a couple of people never returned them.

On the RARE occasions when I do get rid of books, I send them back to the used bookstore where I bought most of them. I am always worried that I will end up buying them again, even though I rarely buy doubles without knowing it.

Several times I have purchased books and then found out I already have them. Highly annoying. This wasn't a problem all those years ago when I only owned four books.

Mxx

When I aquire books (or anything for that matter) that are not/no longer to my liking, I'll just give them to anyone who asks to borrow them. Making a persons day is worth far more than the money made from selling a book.

Agreed. I tried to get rid of the latest Harry Potter by lending it to people and requesting they lend it to someone else. It always came back though :(

Mxx

The only person to whom I gave some of my old books is my cousin, and I also got some from her.
I've never sold any of my books, but now I'm considering to do so. I don't want to give them to my friends, because I know that they would be useless for them. Most of the books are unwanted presents, which I even didn't read till the end. Reason: not my cup of tea.

When I left home for this journey I gave all my favourite books to a close friend for safe keeping and gave away books that I did not particularly enjoy or had no sentimental attachment to. While I travel I find it very hard to give up books I have read and enjoyed for the sake of a lighter pack, but necessity rules my choices at the moment!

Give away books??? Never :D I prefer to store them in unusual and inaccesible places :p

Like the loft......

and the kitchen.....

and every single room of the house!!

Phil :)

I once sold a box of books to a used-book store. I got so little for them in relation to their worth I resolved never to do it again. Now any books I no longer want I 'Bookcross'.

For those of you unfamiliar with the movement, go to www.bookcrossing.com

Back