• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

September Reading?

Im about to start comedian Tony Hawks' One Hit Wonderland, but after that i might even read some classics - for me this is a big thing because the only time ive read any is when they were forced on me in school - not the best setting for actually enjoying a book :p

I am reading Harry Potter no.4 which I enjoy and A widow for A Year by John Irving.

Right now, Gaby Wood's Edison's Eve. The next will probably be The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay. I just finished Lloyd Alexander's The El Dorado Adventure.

I"m finishing up "Take a Thief", starting on "Snow White, Blood Red," and picking up a new "Planet Ladder" book today.

American Pastoral by Philip Roth

He's a great writer. His prose is so aggresive, violent even. What style. What finesse.

This is the third book of his I've read, and I haven't been disappointed yet.

Recently finished, 'Brave new World' by Aldous Huxley and, 'Eon' by Greg Bear.
Probably the next to read will be, 'Diary' by Chuck Palahniuk.

I've just finished reading bk of the Last Rune series by Mark Anthony, 'Keep of Fire'.

It was a good read and I can definately recommend this series to any avid fantasy readers :)

I'm not reading bk3, Dark Remains.

rune

I'm currently reading 'Another Roadside Attraction' by Tom Robbins, and after this I'm going to have make a choice between Palahniuk with 'Choke' and Banks with 'The Wasp Factory'. (Which one do you recommend?)

Ooh, and by the way, Ell...
Finally starting Cyrptonomicon by Neal Stephenson.
When you finish it, could you tell me if it's worth it. I've had it on my bookshelf for ages now, but I haven't gotten around to it yet, simply because it's to... hefty, I guess. So, please let me know.

Cheers, Martin :D

Martin, I'm just getting into Cryptonomicon. It's much funnier than I was expecting. Will let you know when I finish.

However, I anticipate being side-tracked this weekend. A book I requested at the library just came in and, well, I really must finish it before the due date mustn't I? ;)

BTW, it's Prey by Michael Crichton. I know Darren read it awhile ago and liked it.

I finished Prey a couple of weeks ago and its well worth reading - its one of his best so far and very enjoyable :)

The one problem that i found with it is that pretty much nothing happens for the first hundred pages, but stick with it because the build-up is crucial - its just a bit long! :p

Phil

Originally posted by phil_t
Im about to start comedian Tony Hawks' One Hit Wonderland.

Phil, have you read his earlier books, "Round Ireland With a Fridge" and "Playing the Moldovans at Tennis"? They are both hilarious, but the Fridge one is my favourite. This man seems to live his life according to ludicrous bets he makes when drunk, but the results make very entertaining reading! :)

Yeah ive read them both and they're great :D Id recommend them to anyone in need of a good laugh! Still havnt got round to his third one - its sitting on my bed somewhere waiting to be read :)

Just finished Prey - a real page-turner once past the first 100 pages. Will try to add a little blurb in reviews when I get a chance.

Now, it's back to "Cryptonomicon". I've also started Watership Down.

Back