• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Set of blue "How to be a Detective" books (children)

rcasement

When I was a boy, I had these three detective books. There may be more than three, but I had three. They were about paperback size, though in a hard blue cover. They were full colour too, sort of a comic book style illustration.

These books may of been with a British publisher, as I had purchased them in London. This would of been AT LEAST 14 years ago. So the books may of been new, but they may of been old too. But certainly before 1992-3.

These weren't actual detective stories, but rather, how to be a detective or private investigator. They had examples of how to set up your office and how to remember descriptions, look for clues, etc. All the illustrations of the detectives had them wearing trench coats, but there were a variety of illustrations used.

I've been looking for these for years. I can't remember the title or the author. For all I know, they are different authors but the same illustrator. I'd really like to find these books, any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!

I had what sound like the same books, but in red paperback editions. I don't remember the author though. I have vague memories of the publishing logo being an air balloon, though...

EDIT: They might be by Mick Loftus, but I'm not sure. The titles seem to match, but I can't find any details online.

You might be right! Wow, thanks!

I looked up Mick Loftus and was able to find 2 books, but I really recall there being 3. Perhaps more, but this is a very good starting point. I'm going to order one from alibris and I'll let you know if it turned out. Seems to be part of a whizz kid series, so maybe I can find the 3rd book as it may have a different author.

Thanks again!

No problem. Hope it turns out to be the right set. :)

I think the third book was about codes and secret messages? You may be right that it was written by a different author.

Good luck. :)

Back