• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Shakespeare Day

Thelma

Today, 23rd April, we should be celebrating Will! So I thought about bringing him into discussion here, he was my lucky playwright in a very important exam. I got a subject on Shakespeare and I also got the best mark for it, I also wrote a paper about films based on his plays and I can say I’m quite a fan.;) Questions:

1) What are your favourite Shakespeare plays and why?

2) What are your favourite films based on his plays ?

3) What do you think about the plays anyway and do you believe that story with a different mysterious person who is supposed to have written the plays for him? :confused: Yesterday, a friend of mine was telling me that they do the same thing with Moliere, some people are trying to demonstrate that it is king Louis who wrote the plays.

i haven't read very many of his plays, just what is required in high school. however i loved it unlike my friends who thought it was dull.
i really enjoyed mel gibson as hamlet ( and disney's hamlet the lion king, lol) and i loved much ado about nothing.
i think i enjoyed reading midsummer nights dream the best simply because my teacher loved it so much and made it highly enjoyable. however i hated the movies, both the 1999 and 1935 versions. mickey rooney was intolerable as puck.

I've read a lot of Shakespeare, and nothing really made a lasting impression. The ones I liked best were Romeo & Juliet and The Merchant of Venice.

Whenever I'm reading one of his plays I have this nagging suspicion that they'd be a lot better if they were written in prose.

Cheers

I do like Shakespeare but have to say i find the language quite difficult. I have tried to read them on my own but have failed miserably, so this is just going on what I did at school - but they are good stories and that is why they make such good plays/ films.

Favourite Shakespeare plays are Much Ado About Nothing which i found funny and relatively straightforward and Romeo and Juliet.

Favourite Films: 10 things I hate about you (I think based on The Taming of the Shrew - which i have never read), and Hamlet which I have read but struggled with, and Romeo and Juliet.

As for your third question I hadn't heard that before so can't really comment!

Back