• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Shallow Media

liv

This is a little ranting session I posted on my blog back in September. So I thought I'd share it here too. Your thoughts?

"I've slowly discovered, over the course of my life, how superficial the media can be/is. I've gathered this opinion through observing what has goes on around me; things such as school, friends, parents, and co-workers have all added to my perspective. But, nothing in my whole life has affected my opinion of the triviality of mass media more than the past 4 weeks of my first semester of college.

My story -
It was time to decide what to do with my life - high school was over. I decided that since I eventually want to be a copyeditor for Tom DohertyAssociates, Inc., especially their Tor books branch, I should probably get a college degree that can apply to most aspects of the publishing field. Having done an internship in high school at a local publishing company, I had a vague idea of what it would be like to work at said company, though Utah and New York are two vastly different places. I thought perhaps that it would be smart to get my Associate's Degree in Communication/emp. Print Journalism, and then move on to get my Bachelor's Degree in English/emp. Creative Writing. So I put my plan into action, enrolling at the local community college (because I had no money, and also because they had a great communications dept.) and starting right into my major with four comm classes, a politics class, and a scuba diving class. Talk about immersing yourself in shark-infested waters; these classes were no cup of tea, and each was extremely different and more controversial than the last. I quickly dropped out of scuba diving, due to my fear of sharks and lack of money (the latter was the biggest factor in that decision), and was left with Intro. to Mass Media, American National Government, Journalism I, Comm theory, and Communicating in the Workplace.

Four weeks later, I have come to the conclusion that Pulitzer & Hearst's "yellow journalism" is more than still in practice today. It has been expanded to all areas of media, exploited and capitalized on to no end, and has even become more biased (if that's even possible). So now I'm stuck for 2 and 1/2 more months with biased textbooks and professors, but even more so stuck with the tainted perspective I now have for today's media. Somehow I'll have to find things to write about for my weekly article in the school's paper that don't completely sicken me. Thank heavens for the Arts & Entertainment section; otherwise, I don't know what I could write about and still keep a level head.

In my own, honest opinion, mass media is not informing us as it was originally instituted to do, it has corrupted us and is essentially going to be our downfall."

Back