• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Shirley Hazzard: The Great Fire

The Doogster

Howdy fellow readers

Have any of you read this book? I finished it a couple of weeks ago, and have been reflecting on it since.

I have to say that it's one of the most frustrating books I have read in a long time. I don't mean that in a negative sense.

The book teeters between a surreal, dreamy masterpiece and saccharine romantic tripe. I loved its intense artistic style, yet its subject matter is often banal. Still, I couldn't put it down because it was so moving.

The characters are like they are out of a Hermann Hesse novel - they are delicate and exist in a rarified world of high art. However, the writer keeps them at arm's length as if to taunt the reader.

The ending (which I won't give away) is straight out of a Mills and Boon schlock-o-rama novel. I wanted it to end so differently, but the author took the soft option. It was like she couldn't be bothered coming up with a real ending (or else she's in training as a Hollywood screen writer!).

I'd be interested to hear anyone else's thoughts on this book. I find it interesting that the critics (as if I care what they think) had such a mixed reaction to it. Many critics compared it to The English Patient, but I thought it better than that (I found The English Patient's style too sparse and slow - them's fighting words!).

Regards
The Doogster

I tried reading it awhile ago and lost interest I guess, I made it half way. I'm not sure what it was about the book that put me off, as I still vividly remember the characters and most of the story, that isn't usually the case with my cast aside books. Maybe it was a timing issue and I'll try to reread it in the future.

Back