• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Short Story Suggestions

I need some suggestions for short stories that i can perform in the prose category for my forensics(public speaking)team. it turns out that i'm doing prose, not poetry. Any stories that aren't too long and have some sort of message/them are great.

thanks in advance!

Some author suggestions:

Anton Chekhov - Considered the short story master.
Ernest Hemingway - Considered the American short story master.
Fyodor Dostoevsky - There are of course his short stories but you could also easily pick something from the novella Notes From Underground. I've seen several monologues performed using Notes From Underground.
Nikolai Gogol
Alice Munro

Also consider Henry David Thoreau's Walden. It's a dense work but there are beautiful passages peppered liberally throughout.

Some author suggestions:

Anton Chekhov - Considered the short story master.
Ernest Hemingway - Considered the American short story master.
Fyodor Dostoevsky - There are of course his short stories but you could also easily pick something from the novella Notes From Underground. I've seen several monologues performed using Notes From Underground.
Nikolai Gogol
Alice Munro

Also consider Henry David Thoreau's Walden. It's a dense work but there are beautiful passages peppered liberally throughout.

Boooring. :mad:

The best short stories I’ve read recently were from “You Are Not a Stranger Here” by Adam Haslett, which was a finalist for both the Pulitzer Prize and National Book Award. Two of my favorites you can read on the internet, Notes To My Biographer and The Beginnings of Grief (very disturbing but touching).

Just read your last note. The second story is written in the first person and involves two teens.

Back