• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Should I or Should I Not...

Martin

I've recently finished the marvelous novel 'The Wasp Factory' by Iain Banks. I'll write a review on this novel soon, right here on this site.

My question is a simple one. Are his other novels (I'm talking about Iain Banks here, not Iain M. Banks) of comparable quality. In other words, do you guys recommend i.e. 'Complicity', or 'Espedair Street', or 'Canal Dreams', etc etc etc... And why?

Well, do ya?

Cheers, Martin :D

I love Iain Bank's books as a general rule. My favourites are Complicity and Espedair Street. The are not as weird as The Wasp Factory but the writing is nevertheless still superb with engrossing plots and characters.

Canal Dreams was quite a good read but not up to the standard of the ones mentioned above. I would stear clear of A Song of Stone which was a complete battle to get through and not at all worth it.

Hey, thanks for your suggestions, Lyra. I'll be sure to check up on them.

Anymore suggestions?

Oh and by the way, if anyone feels like recommending something by Iain M. Banks, feel free to do so; the more recommendations, the merrier. It's just that I haven't read anything by him, so I can't give a proper opinion on any of his novels.

So, keep'em coming.

(Wow, 200+ posts already... Time flies when you're at a fun place!)

Same guy, different initial. Suddenly I feel the need to add a G to my member name when posting on the sci-fi board. Wasp Factory is good, but I've had trouble getting on with the rest of his non M. Banks stuff. Complicity is amusingly rank by the way. But you'll judge best for yourself. As for his sci-fi stuff try Consider Phlebas or Excession first, as it helps to have read some of the earlier ones when you come to the later stuff especially Inversions. You also might get a kick out of Feersum Endjinn, which is all phonetic, eg

"he said Moar like lukin 4 a partikulir wattir molicule in a oashin & evin thats probly unnerestimatin thi task by sevril ordirs ov magnetude."

What, the entire novel is like that?!

That, right there, would drive me mad! Did you actually read it?! Then you must also be mad!

Back