• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

*sigh*

Sneezy

The following is an actual SMS notification I received from my prescription refill service. I have only redacted my account information.

(MD Denied [#xxxxxxxx]) We weren't able 2 renew ur Rx(s). Ur MD didn't approve our rqst 4 new Rx(s). Contact MD.

Literacy. Is. Doomed.

It's probably more of a way to shorted texts than a way to rustle an old man's jimmies.

On a happier note, I just ordered the first components for my Star Citizen box. Memory, CPU and GPU on the way!

I admit to being overly excited for a 50 year old. The geek in me hopes it lives up to the hype, although the realist bit knows it almost certainly cannot. Hope is a dangerous thing.

I can scarcely afford the time at all, but this guy authored some of the best space sims ever before the FPS came along and ruined everything, so I at the very least must have a peek.

Not rolling until January and I fully expect a year of debugging before it becomes stable. I think the biggest issue they face is the potential for dissatisfaction due to the hardware requirements. Most people I have talked to about it do not really grasp what the developers are saying when they tell them "you're probably going to need to upgrade your hardware". A WoW box isn't going to cut it.

Then there is that little voice in the back of my head telling me this is vaporware and a scam of epic proportions...

Ugh.

I am interested and am buying a new desktop soon.

Any suggestions on CPU and video card if I want to try this out?

Just to have a peek I'd say as long as you stay i7 with at least 8G of memory and a decent discreet GPU (at least 2G dedicated) you should be okay. Just know it won't be competitive if they are not completely full of shit about what they are developing. Oh, and they are requiring a 64 bit OS, it won't even load to 32 bit.

I am using it as an excuse to buy new toys. I've been itching to build something and since the car is 100 miles away and sitting unloved this is a project I can execute in my apartment.

So a video card that can run Watch Dogs or the latest incarnation of Battlefield?

As an aside, the world needs a new version of Harpoon.

If you can run either of those now on full tilt everything you will have no issues poking around.

With regard to Harpoon, if you like RTS games Sins of a Solar Empire is pretty damned good and is still being supported/expanded.

It's cheap and surprisingly well done. Stand alone or MP. You will master the AI pretty quickly, but the MP will kick your ass. There are a lot of good players on ICO. Be aware, however, that Steam just had a summer sale that has crushed ICO's online MP system. :)

I rarely ever play MP. Too. Many. Brats.

If it is still on sale buy it. It's a great value in an RTS.

Build your own. It's fun and relatively easy nowadays.

Machine, not intertube. That is not easy in any way. :)

Back