• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Simon Scarrow - When the Eagle Hunts

Roxbrough

Volume 3 in his Romans in Britain' series yet it stands alone story wise.
I have read the previous two and love the factual background and history you get supporting the fiction.
Scarrow was a Roman history teacher before he became a full time writer and his research and knowledge of the subject rival Bernard Cornwell for detail.
Already enjoying it.

There's a scene in one of the Eagle books where Cato had to eat raw pork because lighting a fire might attract the attention of enemies.

I was like, "Really? Are Roman soldiers tough enough to eat raw pork without suffering from fatal food poisoning?"

I can't remember which book it was though. I only remember that Cato was with a native Briton guide at the time...

It is not in the first two volumes. What you have to remember though is that Romans were well 'ard. Ironic really, being as they came from Italy.

i guess i have to go through a read to the book to get well the discussion in run hear to which I'm just catch up with at the time i joined the forum.. seems interesting as the talk of you reflecting the same ... will go for it soon

No or yes if the mention of it and English not always seemingly the right way round as written.

Back