• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

six minutes

Gee Zee

Thanks for this opportunity to rip it into me.
The following was written in around six minutes and I'd like to know if it is too obscure and unworthy as a good read. I normally work on novels but I like the quick fixes too. (Australian English spelling and grammar)

six minutes

‘Your words are twisted yet you keep a straight face. You are a great preacher of the Scriptures and yet you are an atheist. You speak with such authority and somehow you submit to a higher level of ownership. Why must you contradict to explain yourself? Why are you always hiding behind parables and metaphors? Are you… could you be…?’

‘My incarnation is not meant to establish a new faith. I’m an old soul, that much is true, and for this reason alone you have attraction towards me, but I am neither your master nor you my servant. Your God is my God and your blemish is also my blemish. When you run I sweat and when I walk you walk beside me. There is no distinction between us and yet we are unlike one another. Your mind is my thought and my actions are the result of your instructions. I do not come to you in peace nor do I desire conflict. Contradiction? There is no such thing in a parallel universe. Parallel universe? Now that is a contradiction.

‘Many speak in tongues. Well, my lips speak one language. It is all this chatter that distracts us from our roots, from our essence, from our origin of inception. We are the product of one and a half. A slug has two sexual parts, a male and female, and yet it needs another slug with a female and male part to reproduce. It is one and a half. Yes, that does not add up, but numbers cannot lie. You see, unless you are God or a slug then one and a half is the same as being one, which is in effect nothing because there is no point humouring ourselves if no one is available to share it.

‘Am I going too fast? Perhaps I should slow down fifty years? The era of no women in the Whitehouse and no blacks in a white’s house, unless they are scrubbing toilets and… What? Too far back?

‘Religion is a dirty word. What? Too far forward?

‘Hmm, okay what about if I say Picasso was not a genius, he was simply the postcard bandit? Yes? Good, we have a level playing field now. Here come the cheer leaders and there goes the streaker flopping about. Who is that with him? Oh, sorry, it’s just the National Anthem. No one is taking any bother. Is this modern enough? Am I in the right decade? Not too yesterday and not too tomorrow? Comfy are you? Incredible, you haven’t noticed have you?’

‘Noticed what?’

‘The pot is at boiling point and you’re standing in it.’

This must be the day for odd posts. Ah, yes, I did read it through. Not really certain what you were going for, but you did it rather well. The final line did not connect, but I will allow that my mind was not where yours was when you wrote it. Thanks for the read.

Hello Gee Zee!

I thought you raised some very interesting issues so congrats for that.
The only thing I think you could improve upon is your use of repetition. I can understand why you use it, but using it more than three or four times in a short piece of text like this starts to get a bit tedious ... but I think that's purely personal.

I thought it was great overall though so well done!

Ps. I understood the last line, so it is a day for odd posts indeed.

Hmmmm. Very deep Gee Zee. If you can accomplish that in 6 minutes, I'd seriously like to see some more.
And Welcome from another down- under member :D

Thank you all for taking a look and I certainly appreciate any criticism.
A writer doesn't see the holes in his or her work and I'm no exception. Poppy1, sometimes it takes me an entire day to write a paragraph; thanks for the kind words. I look forward to reading more of the work here and contributing if I can.

Back