• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Slayer (Novela; work in progress)

Ayan

Title: Slayer
Genre: Fantasy/Action/Adventure
Rating: M
Warnings: Language, Some sexual content
Summary: Not everything is always Blakc and White. SOmetimes you have to look into your enemy's heart to find what is right for you.

Chapter One:

“The Greatest Joy in Life is Living it.”
-Dr. Ayankha Bryce

She was a plain girl, tall for her age and as skinny as a stick. Her riveting, long, black hair swished around her buttocks as she walked its colour darker than the blackest midnight. Her chest was pitifully flat, but despite her physique, she looked stunning in her rich velvet evening gown. The dress tightly accentuated her hourglass curves. She stood by a marble pillar, her piercing blue eyes scanning the room.
A young man, her brother, came to her. The resemblance was unmistakable. His hair and eyes were the same as hers. “Having fun little sister?” he asked, his voice sensitive. By his tone she could tell that he wasn’t.

“Well,” she began sarcastically, “not a single gentleman has asked me dance.” She looked at him, her eyes pleading to go home.
“I see,” he responded, understanding the message. “I better tell Rin we’re leaving.” He sighed. Rin would not let him go easily, not this early anyways. He walked slowly, all the while trying to think of a viable excuse. Rin was likely in her chambers, changing her dress once again. He met one of her guards at the door. The guard would not let him in. He was about to tackle his way through when the door opened.
Calrin walked out of her chambers with all the majesty and grace of a princess. “Oh Dar,” she said spotting him. “Just the man I was looking for.”

“Miss Rin,” Dar responded, bowing. “I am sorry to say that I have come to bid adieu milady.”

“Oh but the party is just starting my love. You cannot leave now,” she whined. “I forbid it.”

“I wish I could stay milady, but the hour is getting late and I have yet to finish my studies before retiring.” It was lie, but Dar had tired of the party long ago and had only stayed to be polite.

“Oh… and here I was hoping you would retire with me tonight,” said Calrin, pouting.

“Milady, not before we are married. I do not wish for you to burn in hell for committing adultery. Young ladies such as you should not have such impure thoughts.”

“’Twas only a jest, my beloved. Do not anger so quickly. Although I suppose if you must go, then you have my leave.” Rin held out her hand.
“Thank you milady,” Dar said while bowing to kiss it.

Meanwhile, Dar’s sister, although on the other side of the Grand Ballroom, heard every word exchanged by her brother and Calrin. On cue, she crossed the room and came in time to see Dar retract from the kiss. “Good evening milady,” she said, curtseying.

“Good evening Jacklyn,” Rin said smiling. “Are you enjoying the festivities?”

Jacklyn knew Rin was trying to trap them to stay. “Yes, quite milady. The party makes me shaint wont to leave, but alas my curfew draws near.” Jacklyn quieted and looked down to add effect to her last words.

“Oh what a shame!” replied Calrin.

Spoiled brat,
thought Jacklyn, keeping her eyes to the ground so Calrin wouldn’t see the hate in them. “Yes indeed,” Jacklyn only half agreed.
“Well ‘tis time we take our leave. Good night milady. Come along little sister.” He bowed with Jacklyn following suit, and then disappeared into the crowd.

As they reached the outer hall, a servant came running with Dar’s coat and Jacklyn’s cloak. Then he went to fetch their carriage and driver. After he left, Dar began to speak.

“You did well Jack,” he said. Jack knew he was proud of her for being so pleasant to Calrin. “In truth, I did not expect your confrontation with her to go so well.”

“Darik? Why do you intend to marry Miss Rin if you do not like her?” The question was not a light one.

Dar sighed. “My dear sister, the matter is too complicated for such a young girl as you to understand.”

“Dear brother,” she retorted. “Have you forgotten it was I who helped you comprehend basic science? Have you forgotten that it was I who taught you simple mathematics? I may only be fourteen, but I comprehend more knowledge now than you will ever know in your lifetime. I may be a woman, but I am a scholar. My only fault is I do not comprehend matters of the heart, so please do not insult me with your manly jests.”

“I apologise dear sister,” responded Dar, bowing. “When our parents adopted us, they did wish to adopt a daughter. I convinced them to take you as well by agreeing to marry Miss Rin. In return, I am fated to live my life in misery so that we will know the few years we had left with happy memories.”

Bullshit! You spend every waking moment with that bitch, and if not with her, then with our parents. You barely have time for me brother.
Jack’s mind started to wonder. The memory of her last birthday made its way to her attention.

It was her thirteenth birthday and Dar had planned a day full of events for just the two of them. As they were leaving the house that day, Calrin came riding up to them. She insisted on joining them and Dar could not refuse. She had ruined everything for Jack, and she told Calrin. For her slanderous behaviour toward Miss Rin, their parents sent her to her room with no dinner, and Dar was not permitted to wish her good-night. She slammed her door shut, tears flowing freely. Jack ran to her bed and almost plopped down onto it. There was someone else in her room, someone not human.

“Why the tears my dear?” the creature asked. “Slayers shouldn’t cry. It shows weakness.”

“Who are you?” Jack asked as she dried her eyes. “And how did you get into my room?”

“Good, you are fearless,” it said, “just like a slayer should be. My name, dear lady, is Ven, and I entered by shimmering.”

“Slayer? Shimmering? You are talking gibberish.”

“Oh really?” asked Ven. He turned his back to her and stared into the roaring fire in her hearth. Jack cautiously got up and walked toward him. Suddenly he spun around, throwing a dagger at her. She caught it centimetres away from her face.

“Are you crazy!?” she yelled at Ven. “You could have killed me!”

“If you hadn’t caught it, you would be dead,” agreed Ven. “But the important thing is that you caught it.”

“So?” Jack didn’t grasp the significance.

“So, no normal human can do that,” explained Ven. “In fact, the only kind of humans that can are Slayers, and they are always women.”

“Okay, so I’m special. That doesn’t explain why you’re here.”

“I am here to train you,” answered Ven. “So that you may claim your birthright.”

“My birthright?”

“In the Slayer community, the strongest Slayer is known as the Sanx Slayer. Because you have wizard’s blood, that should be you, but to claim your throne, you must fight the current Sanx Slayer. But first you need to be trained. This office belonged to your mother, Nikolyce. The current Sanx, Lyona, was a rival of your mother’s and orchestrated her death. You must avenge her honour, your honour. Will you accept my services?”

Ven had dropped a bombshell on her. Jack needed time to think. Ven realized from her silence that this was so. “I’ll come back in one week. That should be enough time to think this all over.” Ven started to fade away. His voice took on a metallic quality. “I will return in one week’s time,” and with that he was gone.

In one week, Jack saw many things she didn’t want to see. Visions of death and destruction plagued her dreams. Monsters ransacked villages, plundered castles. It seemed no one was safe. Then a lone warrior would rise against the evil and vanquish it. Each night, the Warrior was different, but they were always women. These women looked vaguely familiar. One looked exactly like her except for a jagged scar that ran the full length of cheek from her right eye to the base of neck.

At the end of the week, Jack was almost delighted to see Ven. She told him about her dreams. “It seems your ancestors are trying to contact you,” he told her.

“What do they want, and how can I get the dreams to stop?” she asked, ready for any kind of out short of death.

“They want you to follow in their footsteps and claim your birthright. It would be wise to appease them, or the dreams may never stop.”

“So basically to stop these dreams of death and destruction, I have to stop it in real life?”

“Well, that’s one way to interpret it.”

“Fine then. I accept your services. When do we start?”

“Of course, Mistress. We will begin whenever you wish.”

“Now,” sighed Jack. “I want to start now.”

“Jack?” Dar’s voice pulled her back to the present.

“Yes Darik?” she replied, looking out the window of the carriage.

“Why did you stop calling me Dar?” There was no emotion in his voice. Dar was an emotional person. People knew what kind of mood he was in just by being next to him, but lately his emotions were hidden. Jack didn’t like it.

“Because that’s what she calls you.” Jack’s voice, on the other hand, was full of rage.

“Yes, I suppose it would hurt to agree with her about something.” Emotionless sarcasm was also becoming very frequent lately. Jack had never known him to take things loosely. That bitch was changing him.
“I would rather not talk about it.” Jack’s rage was boiling. She needed to vent. They lapsed back into perfect silence. The only sound was the soft pitter patter of the horses’ hooves. The noise seemed to calm Jack, until they reached home. The moment the carriage pulled onto the grounds, she could sense Ven in her room. ‘Now what?’ she thought.

“Jack?”

“What?!” she snapped.

“Good night.”

Jack’s face softened. “Oh….” She said quietly. “Good night Dar.” Then she went straight into her room and locked the door. “Go away Ven. I’m not in the mood for one of your lessons tonight,” she said without looking at him.

“You are angry. Good, that will come in handy tonight,” he replied nonchalantly.

“What part of ‘Go Away’ did you not understand?” Jack asked with malice.

“I just thought you might want to go out for a hunt,” said Ven. “It would really help vent some of that anger.”

“Thanks, but it’s going to take more than shooting dummies to sooth me.”

“I was thinking more like a real Vampire. Granted, it would be a weak one, but I think you are ready. Ah well, I shall leave if that is what you wish.” He began to disappear.

“Don’t you dare,” Jack hissed.

“Yes Mistress.”

“Where are we hunting?”

Chapter Two:

“A Vampire’s Greatest Weakness is lust for all things beautiful”
-Universal Vampire Guide, Vol. 1

The girl stood alone in the public gardens. Her lavender evening gown was hardly proper wear for public appearances, but she didn’t care. In the distance she could hear the roars of drunkards from the local tavern. “I feel stupid,” she sent her thoughts to Ven, who waited in the shadows nearby.
“Patience Mistress. The prey will arrive soon.”
“Well it better hurry up. I’m bored.” Ven chuckled. “What are you laughing at?”
“Focus on the mission.”
Jack gave out a small sigh. Her eyes roamed around her surroundings. She could see a figure silhouetted by a bright, full moon. As the figure moved closer, Jack gasped. He was beautiful. His short brown hair curled over his forehead. He stood tall in his dark, velvet cloak. His skin was as pale as the moon that stood behind him. Jack’s heart sank. This was the prey she was waiting for. “Damn! Why does he have to be so beautiful?”
“Most vampires are. It makes the hunting easier.”
“Of course. Why chase, fight, and potentially damage your prey when you can seduce it?” Jack let out an annoyed little sigh. “It seems a shame to kill something so beautiful. Any suggestions?”
“Just make it quick or he might charm you.”
“To late to stop that.”

*****​
Mickel walked nonchalantly out of the tavern. The drunkards weren’t very satisfying. He paused and let the moon bathe his skin. It was truly a wonderful night. Perhaps he could find a sweet virgin, but looking around, it was very unlikely. He started to make his way the public gardens. The flowers would clear his mind. As Mickel neared, he spotted a sweet young lady. She was wearing a beautiful, lavender evening gown, and she was unchaperoned! Truly, she was a virgin. Her blood would be sweet. Mickel let his eyes roam her features. She was spring blossom, more beautiful than any in the entire garden. Her skin was fair, almost as white as his. Her lips were full a sensuous, this girl would be able to pout through all her problems. Though her bosom was small, she was still very attractive. Mickel’s eyes fell on her hair, and his appetite was lost. Her hair was darker than the darkest midnight. She was a slayer.
I thought slayers were extinct, Mickel thought. He slowly walked toward. “It is dangerous young ladies to be out so late and unchaperoned,” he said to alert her of his presence. Of course, if she truly was a slayer, then she already knew.
“But I’m not alone good sir. You are here with me.” Her voice was sweet, like honey, and full of innocence. There was no way she was a slayer. She wasn’t even wearing the traditional garb.
“That may be true, but where is your chaperone?”
“Chaperone? Why would I need a chaperone?”
Mickel raised his brow. “So then you are a slayer. Odd, I’ve never one dressed in anything but red and/or black.” Jack froze. How did this leech know what she was? Mickel ran his hand through her hair. “Such beautiful hair.” He twirled a lock around his finger and brought it up to his face. Mickel inhaled deeply. “And a touch of wizard too. This must be my lucky night.”
Jack snapped back to reality. She had to act before he did. But it was too late; he was already going for her neck. Jack’s heart began to beat faster. She was loosing her resolve and fast. She heard rather than felt his teeth sink into her neck. The sound of her flesh ripping nauseated her. As began to drink, the bile stuck in her throat. He drank for what seemed like hours before he pulled out.
Mickel stepped back with a sigh. “That was quite refreshing.”
Jack was woozy. She moved her hand to her neck and felt the puncture wounds. “H-how much…” She swallowed. “How much did you take?”
“Just a taste my sweet, just a taste. I wouldn’t want to be falling for your little curse.”
“What… what curse?”
[FONT=&quot]“My, my, my, you truly are new to this. Ask your mistress, or vampire, whomever it is you learn from. Though, I must say, they are not a very good teacher.” Mickel smiled, his pearly white fangs barely visible under his upper lip. “Now my dear lady, I must bid you adieu.” As Mickel turned, his billowing cloak brushed across her face. Jack watched the vampire walk away. When his form was no longer visible, her knees buckled and she collapsed.[/FONT]

Jack awoke in her own room. “Urrg!” she moaned. “What happened?” Last thing she remembered was the vampire trying, and succeeding to woo her. She could still feel his cold breath on her lips. Did he kiss me?
“Don’t you remember Mistress?” asked Ven as he sauntered out of the shadows. Jack snapped back to the present.
“It’s all a bit hazy. The last I remember is the leech leaning on me.” Jack gasped as it all came back. Her hand instantly flew to her neck to make sure. She could easily feel the puncture wounds on her perfect skin. Jack bowed her head and began to cry. Her tears fell harmlessly onto her dress, staining the lavender a darker shade. “I failed. I will never be worthy of my heritage, of my throne.”
“Shh…” Ven tilted Jack’s head up. “It’s alright. This was your first attempt. So what if you’re not a natural. You did well. You tried to defy Mickel’s charm. That’s not a very easy task.”
Jack looked into Ven’s eyes. “You know him?”
“Mickel is my brother. We were sired the same night. He knew not to drink more than a few drops from you because he was there when I bit your grandmother, when I became a slave to your family.”
“Why didn’t you try to stop him?”
“How would you learn to protect yourself if I came to your rescue every time things looked grim? Hum? Besides, Mickel never kills his prey. In some ways, he is still very much human. Now get some rest.” Ven tucked Jack in, kissed her forehead, and faded into the night. Now then, dear brother, it is high time we had a little chat. Ven easily tracked Mickel’s aura. The vampire had followed them home and now waited patiently in the woods surrounding the property. Ven quickly made his way through the trees searching for him. He caught Mickel’s scent on the ground below and fell to investigate.
“I’m right here Ven.” Mickel stepped out from behind a tree.
“Mickel. I’m glad to see you are still alive.” The two vampires began to circle one-another, neither fully trusting the other.
“No thanks to you dear brother.” There was spite in his voice.
“We each had our orders. Defying them would have meant certain death. In truth, I miss you greatly.”
“Enough to leave the slayer?”
“If only I could.” Ven stopped, and his eyes fell to the ground. Mickel instantly attacked. Ven accepted it with open arms. The wound healed before the blood could even bead. “As long as Mistress Jacklyn is alive, I am bound to her and her family. You can attack me all you want, but the wounds will heal quickly.” Mickel began attacking in fury.
“You cannot take my revenge. I will kill you!” Ven stepped back with every attack. He eventually tripped over a tree root. Mickel stopped. Ven laid on the ground, his shirt mere rags, and his bare chest a pale hue of red. “I hate you.”
Ven stood up and slowly walked towards Mickel. “I hate myself.”
“Why did you have to kill Kiara?”
“Those were my orders.” Ven grabbed Mickel and embraced him. “Every time I sleep, I am plagued with visions of that battle. Kiara’s screams as I dealt the final blow still echo in my head. I still see her blood on my hands.”
“And what are your orders now?” Mickel whispered.
“Train Mistress Jacklyn and help her ascend to her throne.” Ven looked deeply into Mickel’s eyes. “Come with me.”
“What?”
“Come with me. Help me train the mistress. We would never have to fight again.”
Mickel broke the embrace, and turned his back to Ven. “I won’t become a slave to that bitch.”
“You don’t have to. Just help me train her. Afterwards, you may leave if you wish.”
Mickel turned back around and looked into Ven’s eyes. “Are you sure this is what you want?”
Ven gently grabbed Mickel’s face and pressed his firm lips to Mickel’s equally firm lips. The kiss was short. As Ven pulled away, he pleaded. “Please brother.” Mickel looked deeply into Ven’s eyes. They were dark pools of sincerity.
“Alright.” Mickel sighed heavily. “I’ll come.” Ven’s lips curled slightly as they shared another, more passionate kiss.

****​

Jack awoke with a start. It was still dark outside. Her piercing blue eyes scanned her room and landed on two figures near the hearth. She could tell one was Ven, and other felt familiar. “What the hell are you doing here!” she yelled as she realized who it was. “How did you get in?”
“I brought him here mistress. He-“
“What?! You traitor!”
“Calm down little slayer. I’m not here to hurt you,” Mickel said nonchalantly.
“He’s has agreed to-“
“Shut up Ven. Stay out of this. This time, I will kill you.” Jack pulled out a small dagger from under her pillow and lunged at Mickel. He nimbly dodged it. Jack lunged again. This time as Mickel dodged, he tripped over an ottoman. Jack stood before Mickel and was ready to bury the dagger into his chest when Ven tackled her. Ven quickly got up and shielded Mickel before Jack could recover. “What is the meaning of this treachery?” Jack roared. She was royally pissed.
“Forgive me Mistress, but Mickel is here to help us. I cannot allow you to kill him until you hear his proposition.”
Jack turned her full attention to Mickel. “You have five minutes.”
“Your nemesis killed our sire. I want revenge, but I have no hopes of defeating her. You do. I’m willing to teach you everything I know about slayers, vampires, everything you wish. I do this in hopes that Kiara will finally be avenged.”
“Why should I avenge your sire?”
“Kiara was a kind soul. She only fed on the guilty and sinful, unless she had no choice. If she had to feed on an innocent, she would take no more than a pint or two. She turned those who were close to death, but did not want to die. She taught us her morals and values.”
“Then why did you attack a slayer?”
“We were new, and didn’t know what she was, but she reeked of death. Ven went first. When he keeled over shortly after stepping back to let me drink, I ran. I didn’t see him again until the great battle your mother was killed in.”
“Lyona had ordered me to kill Kiara even though she fighting on our side,” Ven interjected. “If I hadn’t, she would have killed us both on the spot. Afterwards, I was so distraught; I failed in my duties to protect your mother.”
“Lyona…. She seems to be the root of all my problems. Compared to her, Calrin looks like a gnat.” Jack sighed. “I’m not saying I trust you, Mickel, but I won’t hesitate to kill you.”
“Understood. I hope you equally understand if I were to sleep elsewhere?”
“Of course. Then it is an agreement. We will train until I kill Lyona, then we will part ways.”
“When shall we begin?”

Hi Ayan,

I found your writing quite interesting, and it kept my attention to the end. (I did like Buffy the Vampire Slayer though, which is where you seem to have got your inspiration from.)

Can I ask when your story is set? At first the language and settings are rather archaic, with ballgowns, servants, coaches, and language such as "Milady" and "I have come to bid adieu". This all makes me think the story is set a few centuries ago. However, if this is the case, then you need to have a look at some of the language etc you use later on, as it does not match the period and is quite modern, which jars with the previous language. Examples of this include:

“What part of ‘Go Away’ did you not understand?”
and, even worse:

She was royally pissed.

Also, the first part could be slightly confusing in that every character is referred to by two names (long and short versions) which make it a bit difficult to work out who is who at first.

This bit:

“I apologise dear sister,” responded Dar, bowing. “When our parents adopted us, they did wish to adopt a daughter. I convinced them to take you as well by agreeing to marry Miss Rin.”

is confused. Should it say, "They did not wish to adopt a daughter"? Otherwise it doesn't make sense.

Finally, this description:

Her chest was pitifully flat, but despite her physique, she looked stunning in her rich velvet evening gown. The dress tightly accentuated her hourglass curves.

Hourglass curves involve having a large bust, small waist and large hips, so I really don't see how Jacklyn can be described thus and still have a "pitifully flat" chest!

I also think you need to concentrate a bit more on characterisation. On the whole, I think your story has potential and it was an interesting read. :)

thank you... the story starts out in the mid 18th century, but the eras cross over.... this will be explained later on in the story.... Buffy was only a small part of the inspiration, i actually draw alot upon different mythologies...

the hourglass thing means she has broad shoulders and hips but a small waist [(and i have seen this before.... i know quite a few girls with similar physique...)]

Back