• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Sleepers {contains spoilers}

tartan_skirt

The other night I watched the movie version of Sleepers by Lorenzo Carcaterra, the true story of 4 boys who are sent to a juvenile facility after an accident with a hotdog cart. There they are badly abused by 4 prison guards and so changed forever. 10 years later they seek revenge.

For me the movie didn't quite match up to the book. It didn't have enough of the boys background in Hell's Kitchen and not enough of when they were actually in the home. I realize they can't include all of the book because then it would be about 4 hours long but still... Anyone who saw the movie and hadn't read the book probably wouldn't understand enough about the neighbourhood and the lives of Lorenzo, John, Tommy and Mike.

Has anyone else seen the movie? And if so what do you think? And have you read the book as well?

I thought the movie lacked some emotional weight which was suprising given the cast, but also the transformation from good kids caught in a brutal system to gangland murderers wasnt convincing. It's been a long time since i read the book, but i remember it being quite harrowing. The film was almost a paint by numbers job.

Back