• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

smoking in public laws

Geenh said:
Ban beers? Obviously, you don't match your alcohol to your food! VERY Australian (West Coast US as well?). As for sugared beverages, you mean Coca Cola and such? I don't drink that stuff so I don't know whether or not it ruins that taste of food. I would imagine that since beverages and beer are not airbound, people are less offended. I've never inhaled someone else's cola for an entire meal, so I cannot compare.

as i said, if you mean why ruin the taste of a fantastic dish, im pretty sure the sugar left in your tongue by a couple of gulps from a delicious glass of coca cola will affect the flavor of that tasty looking smoked salmon, and maybe its not such a good idea to have a large gulp of fosters before attacking that chocolate cake

Maybe this can clarify a bit. If I choose to have a cola with my salmon, the resulting flavor clash is totally my business (my salmon and cola are in my mouth, not yours) and affects you not at all, so my cola can't ruin the flavor of your salmon, but your cigarette smoke can ruin mine. Smell and tastebuds are both involved in the sense of taste, that is why peole with colds say food tastes like cardboard, and ex-smokers say food tastes so much better after they've quit smoking.

cajunmama said:
Maybe this can clarify a bit. If I choose to have a cola with my salmon, the resulting flavor clash is totally my business (my salmon and cola are in my mouth, not yours) and affects you not at all, so my cola can't ruin the flavor of your salmon, but your cigarette smoke can ruin mine. Smell and tastebuds are both involved in the sense of taste, that is why peole with colds say food tastes like cardboard, and ex-smokers say food tastes so much better after they've quit smoking.

now thats a good answer :)
i see your point

As I saw on another thread... be verbose because people have a tough time with short, obvious answers at times.

Thanks cajunmama! Perfect description.

mr_michel said:
fosters before attacking that chocolate cake
You scare me, mr.
Beer before cake? yuk! :p
But what does go well with smoked salmon?
And Alaskan crab fishing pays really, really, really well, a year's worth of $$ in just a few weeks of work. :eek:

cajunmama said:
You scare me, mr.
Beer before cake? yuk! :p
But what does go well with smoked salmon?
And Alaskan crab fishing pays really, really, really well, a year's worth of $$ in just a few weeks of work. :eek:

mmmmm beer. mmmmm cake mmmmmm :D

Mr Michel

For Mr Michel:
My thoughts on cigarettes at this time are that all indoor, public places should be smoke free. Making those that smoke go outside to a designated smoking area is a minor inconvenience to them, but to damn bad, they probably need the exercise anyway.
They have a right to smoke, but those of us who don’t smoke, have the right to not smoke. And no child should be subjected to breathing smoke anywhere. I despise watching parents inside cars smoking with children in car seats sitting right beside them and all the windows rolled up. To me, that’s a crime.

As for the business owner: As long as what you do in your own time does not effect how you do your job, your job should be safe. But I still applaud the guy for making a stand about something he believes in, and I don’t buy into the view that if he can do that then we’re all just one step away from slaves and slave owners. Cigarette smoking is a highly destructive, and dangerous habit that has no socially redeeming values whatsoever. There are very few things on this earth that fall into that category.

Motokid said:
As for the business owner: As long as what you do in your own time does not effect how you do your job, your job should be safe. But I still applaud the guy for making a stand about something he believes in, and I don’t buy into the view that if he can do that then we’re all just one step away from slaves and slave owners. Cigarette smoking is a highly destructive, and dangerous habit that has no socially redeeming values whatsoever. There are very few things on this earth that fall into that category.
I would temper this view with a longer perspective. Even in the puritanical United States, tobacco smoking has been a socially acceptable, even socially esteemed, practice for hundreds of years. Sharing a smoke was a long established bonding ritual for many cultures at all levels of society. It was viewed as a harmless, adult indulgence. That is equally true in Europe, particularly France, Italy, Spain, and Greece. Many of the people who now smoke were raised in that social milieu. It’s only in the last 30 years that the knowledge of disease has radically shifted the acceptance of tobacco smoking.

While I don’t endorse smoking, and I certainly hate to see young people pick up the habit, I, for one, am willing to observe a grace period for this shift to happen organically, i.e., for the knowledge of disease and damage to gradually, generationally supercede the social constructs of the past.

I think so harshly condemning an addictive habit that only a generation ago was completely acceptable at every level of society is a bit short-sighted. It reeks of Prohibitionism, and we know how well that worked out.

Further, I think people should continue to have a right to practice any legal behavior on their own time, regardless of what their employer believes. I am certain that the Supreme Court would support this view.

oooh novella well said, WELL SAID!!!!! i wish i could be so concise and eloquent in real life. um is my favourite word. lol

novella said:
Further, I think people should continue to have a right to practice any legal behavior on their own time, regardless of what their employer believes. I am certain that the Supreme Court would support this view.
ah, novella, 'tis the way of the lotus.

Very well said Novella. You included the historical and social aspects of the issue which had not been completely addressed. I agree with you that the Supreme Court will also see it this way. They will value individual rights over a business entity's rights. If they don't, it could be a precedent; I'm not sure because I haven't been to law school... yet. You never know. I'm still young.

It was also socially acceptable a generation or two ago to occasionally beat your wife without fear of being charged with a crime. And it's still acceptable in some areas of the world. Simply because people didn't know better 40 years ago does not mean "just give it time" now is o.k.

Maybe some "short-sighted" approaches are needed considering there's been at least 20 years of knowledge about the harmful effects of cigarettes. How long do you want to wait?

So you hurt a few feelings? So what? I don't want my kids smoking just becuase they think it looks cool and "my parents would freak if they found out".

There's been plenty of time, now maybe getting a little tougher might help.

In which societies is it or has it been socially acceptable to beat your wife? I'm not familiar with those.

Smoking, on the other hand, was a shared social activity with time set aside for it. It was long though to cure various ailments, like syphillis, and it was used by the Mayans and other American cultures in spiritual ceremonies.

It's not a question of hurt feelings. Let's recognize that this is an addictive substance, not something that you can comfortably put down after 40 years. Every older smoker I know would like to quit.

It certainly wasn't something that was done in public, or anything like that, but spousal abuse was often looked at as something between the husband and the wife, and in most cases people turned a deaf ear on it. Not many were arrested for it unless things got totally out of control. It was just a part of being married in many households. Something that happened. Maybe that's a bad example.

It's still been 20+ years and I don't really care about 40-50 and up year olds. I care about preteens, teenagers, and kids in there 20's that have never know anything but the ill effects of smoking.

Besides, how many that say they want to quit really mean it? Most just say it because it's what people want them to say. If you want to quit, you'll quit.
You do whatever it takes to quit. It can, and has been done by so many people. Including me. Saying I want to but I can't is more times than not a cop out because people are not willing to suffer a little to benefit a lot.

Motokid said:
It certainly wasn't something that was done in public, or anything like that, but spousal abuse was often looked at as something between the husband and the wife, and in most cases people turned a deaf ear on it. Not many were arrested for it unless things got totally out of control. It was just a part of being married in many households. Something that happened.

Yes, you are correct Motokid. This certainly happened in the UK. It was casually referred to as "a domestic" incident and the police rarely took action. Thank goodness that has now changed to a large extent.

Sorry, please get back to the smoking debate! :)

Back