• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Snape: a question

M

member 737

This is a question for all Harry's fans, or anyone who has a theory about this. A member of which house was Snape, when he attended Hogwart?

Ice said:
He was a Slytherin.
Actually, I would rather bet on Gryffindor. It wasn't written anywhere that a teacher, who takes care of a house, must have attended it before as a student, was it?

Erm no, but in every book Rowling makes references to Snape being a Slytherin :rolleyes:

But is it stated directly- "Snape was from Slytherin"?
If he was from Gryffindor, it would explain his relationship with James, Sirius and their friends.

Sorry I don't agree with that - it makes more sense that they'll hate him if he's from a rival house rather than one of their own.

I'll quote myself:
Beatrycze said:
But is it stated directly- "Snape was from Slytherin"?
Each year in every house there are 5 boys and 5 girls. So probably was the fifth boy with James, Sirius, Lupin and Peter. Why didn't they include him in their group? They must have disliked him.

I'm pretty sure that it says directly that Snape was in Slytherin, but it's been a long while. His thing with James is similar to Malfoy's thing with Harry.

It does say in one of the books that he was a Slytherin, I can't get a direct quote as I don't have the books.

Ashlea said:
His thing with James is similar to Malfoy's thing with Harry.
If so, who would Malfoy and who Harry?
But it's not like that...Harry and Malfoy belong to two different camps, Snape was alone confronting our sweet friends, he had no support.

Beatrycze said:
If so, who would Malfoy and who Harry?
But it's not like that...Harry and Malfoy belong to two different camps, Snape was alone confronting our sweet friends, he had no support.

But that is still different the Malfoy and Harry thing is different because they both have friends. Snape was an outcast and had no friends. I think that Snape was in Slytherin but just had no friends to back him up. And it is possible because they have classes together and free time.

I think that people of Slyhterin would welcome the opportunity of having a fight with those of Griffindor, even if they didn't like Snape.
And when James and Sirius explain their reasons for attacking Snape, there is no such argument that he is from different house, so enemy.

Ice said:
it makes more sense that they'll hate him if he's from a rival house rather than one of their own.
As one of them said, they "hated" him because he existed. James and Sirius bullied Snape just for fun. Being in other house didn't play a role.

Ashlea said:
His thing with James is similar to Malfoy's thing with Harry.
There is a similarity, but it was James from Gryffindor who behaved like Malfoy.

Snape could easily be from Griffindor though. He loves all the people in Slytherin because thats where he might have wanted to be. Remember what Ron said that there isn't a single witch or wizard who was in Slytherin and didn't go bad. So Snape then could have longed to be in Slytherin since he was a Death Eater. Also, that could be partially the reason that he hates all Griffindors, because he use to be one of them and when he was in Hogwarts he had no friends, especially in his house with James, Sirrius, Lupin and Peter. Also maybe he developed a crush on Lily Potter and that would be the reason behind one of his hatreds for Harry and James.

I'm with Ice on this one - I thought that it states quite categorically in the books that Snape was in Slytherin. However after reading this thread I am now starting to doubt whether I have just always assumed that he was - I will have to check when I get home :D

Please do check Lyra - I'd do it myself as it's bugging me now but I don't own the books :rolleyes: I expect a direct reference would most likely be found in either the third or fourth book (as these two have a lot about the marauders in them) Saying that though it could quite easily be in the first. I honestly can't believe so many people think he could actually be a Gryffindor :rolleyes:

Ice, are you by any chance a member of the Chamber of Secrets forum, which stems from Mugglenet.com? And by any chance did you post a thread marked - Snape in Slytherin? Or something along those lines!
Personally i think Snape is a Slytherin! But JK may surprise us and say he is a Gryffindor and is the Heir of Gryfindor or something silly like that :rolleyes:

Amy :D

Back