• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

So what about Hell?

Hannibal

kickbox
Can anyone recommend any good novels that involve Hell? It's always so interesting see or read writers' depictions of it.
The only novel that comes to my mind is What Dreams May Come by Richard Matheson.

I'm reminded just now of an old St. Elsewhere episode where Howie Mandel's character goes briefly to Hell during a coma after he's shot. He's in a rowboat with a former colleague (convicted rapist) in the middle of a vast body of shark/monster infested water under a bleak sky...what a great episode that was; I loved that show.

La Divina Comedia by Dante Alighieri.

Or something a tad bit lighter, I, Lucifer by Glen Duncan (not really about Hell, but about Lucifer).

Cheers, Martin :D

Have you read The Great Divorce by C.S. Lewis? Guy gets on a bus and gets taken to both Heaven and Hell. It's a short, quick and thought-provoking read. :)

Bus drives are bad, but that bad?

Well, yeah, ok. Still waiting for the Heaven-bit, though.

Cheers, Martin :D

Are you considering something on demonology and witchcraft?

Read "The Dumas Club", you'll find it really weird. =P

But it would be an interesting read if you were familiar with the three Musketeers :p

edit: this is useless, I forgot the name of the author :(

Cool. I love Dumas so although it seems to have little to do with it I'll have to read it anyway, if I can find it. (Greedily looks forward to University next year and big libraries).

Cassandra said:
Cool. I love Dumas so although it seems to have little to do with it I'll have to read it anyway, if I can find it. (Greedily looks forward to University next year and big libraries).

you are one cool person! you go you! :)

Off the top of my head - Stanley Elkin's The Living End and Inferno by Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle

Back