• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

So what do you tell your kids now?

Easy. I tell them, if you are hurt, lost or really need help, its okay to ask for help. But if some guy comes up to you asking for directions or help finding his puppy, then don't talk to him.

I can't tell you exactly what I'll tell my son but nothing is ever so black and white that a child should "never" talk to someone they don't know.

Considering that your child is more likely to be violated by someone who's either a family member or close friend of the family, rather than a stranger I'd say parenting is a very difficult thing to do.

Then when you consider that most of the notoriously famous abusers of children usually hold some upstanding position in society (priest, coach, scout leader, teacher...) I'd say that complete strangers are the least of a parents worries.

I just find it amazing that this kid would hide from somebody knowing he's completely lost, hungry, cold, and in danger of becoming some animals dinner.

The story is amazing, and thankfully has a happy ending....

Motokid said:
Considering that your child is more likely to be violated by someone who's either a family member or close friend of the family, rather than a stranger I'd say parenting is a very difficult thing to do.
Like I said, nothing is so black and white. Rigid rules of protection aren't what children need. What they need is sound guidance. They need to know that if someone hurts them, no matter who they are, that they need to tell someone. They need to understand who all they can go to when they are in trouble or scared. They need to know a whole lot more than "don't talk to strangers". They need to know when it's ok to approach a stranger and how to approach with their safety in mind. I can't rattle all this stuff off the top of my head. I'll know what to tell him when the moment presents itself.

I'm glad the kid was found and is okay. And this is why I want to always be like a kid, no matter how old I get:

One of the first questions Brennan asked after he was rescued, his mother said, was if the Pokemon cards he had ordered on eBay had arrived.

"I tell you, that's what got him off that mountain," she said.

Not that I like Pokemon, but that level of prioritization....*sigh*

As for what to tell kids...I'd say that when they are very small, "don't talk to strangers," is acceptable, but as they become older, they need to be taught to make responsable decisions for themselves, not to mindlessly follow orders. Which begs the question, how do you do THAT?

It hit me yesterday, like a ton of bricks. The article said he was hiding because he didn't hear any of the prearranged code words from any of the people looking for him. HELLO!!!! It is partly the parents fault then, that he wasn't found sooner. They should have told the searchers the code works. Isn't that what they're for?????

Acolyte said:
As for what to tell kids...I'd say that when they are very small, "don't talk to strangers," is acceptable, but as they become older, they need to be taught to make responsable decisions for themselves, not to mindlessly follow orders. Which begs the question, how do you do THAT?

Yeah, the plan changes. I take my son to Manhattan a couple of times a year, and we always have a 'getting lost' plan, but it changes as he gets older.

It used to be, keep your address, phone numbers, and grandpa's address and phone numbers in your pocket and find a police officer. Tell him your name and ask him to call me. Now its, call my cell or my sister's office and be able to say where you are. Go into a big store or a bank if you don't feel safe.

For an eleven year old to be lost but still be afraid to ask for help is weird.

my brother and i were talking about this the day the kid was found. i was incredulous. i have to be honest- the kid is 11, i was wondering where his common sense was. well, maybe he was in shock or something. his parents must have REALLY drilled it into him not to talk to strangers.

Back