• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Solved-Children's Fiction About Japanese Girl During WWII

calisphere

I've been trying to find this book for over a year and I have run out of combinations of words to try to find it. I have very little information, but I was hoping someone here may know it.

First, I remember the cover mostly. It was pink with cherry blossoms. There was a circular space on the upper right with a girl. I think she may have been painting Japanese characters. Or maybe she was standing by the window. Helpful, huh? At any rate, I'd know it if I saw it.

Now for the basic plot. It will be very basic as I don't think I ever fully read the book, or I just read it once. I do remember that it is about a Japanese school girl who paints beautiful Japanese letters. I don't remember if she paints them into stories or not, but may have. The story is set during WWII I believe and possibly right before the bombing on Japan. I don't remember if the story goes into the bombings and the aftermath. I want to say that it does and perhaps her hand is burned?

This book would have been written before 1998, probably in the very early 90's or earlier. It wasn't a very long book, perhaps 300 pages and was definitely children's fiction. I remember the character being mostly sad and the book was serenely beautiful and sad looking.

If anyone has any clues as to possibilities, I'd appreciate it. I just can't seem to think of any other combinations of words to find it.

Back