• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Someone tell me this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ell said:
I'm not sure much can be done about it since it is General Chat and they are generally chatting. :rolleyes:
Yes, but there's a difference between talking about a subject and creating a new thread just to say "hello person X" or something, or not? One thread for chit chat wouldn't bother me, but there are so many threads open that are quite literally about nothing.

And it's not just that (though, it is a big factor), it's the entire atmosphere. It went from friendly to hostile in a damn hurry (we all witnessed that 4 or 5 months ago), and somehow, somewhere, the hostility went away (or did it? No, not really.), and was replaced by raging superficiality.

so..if you don't want to discuss the hostility, is it just the bullshit of the general chat (again...i am guilty) that has your back up? i'm just confused is all....

Read the thread - the bullshit (as you so eloquently put it) is part of it, but it's bigger than that.

ricky general chat is ok, just that it "pales" in comparision as to what it used to be, and i really dont think you are the cause of it :)

Let me point out that I have not pointed my finger in any direction. I'm not assigning guilt.

Martin said:
Read the thread - the bullshit (as you so eloquently put it) is part of it, but it's bigger than that.

i have read the thread..and what i am wondering is, is it that there seems to be those that are not either portraying themselves fully, creating shit for the sake of it, antagonising other members to see how far they can be pushed, ass pinching, limeracks, thread started for bobbyburns, hostility, general lack of book discussion....that is the problem? should we wipe the slate clean and start again in the hopes that those out there will stay away?
you wanted someone to tell you why TBF has taken the turn that it has...why do you think it has? what do you specifically see as the problem?

mr_michel said:
ricky general chat is ok, just that it "pales" in comparision as to what it used to be, and i really dont think you are the cause of it :)

thanks mr_michel..! i wasn't here a few months ago to compare what it used to be..i have certainly, within my short time here, seen some threads and posts that have been shocking, not necessarily offensive to me personally, but can see how they do offend.

Martin said:
For the nth time - it is not just the spamming.

well, if it's not the spamming and you said earlier you didn't want to talk about the hostility, then what is it really all about? just curious is all....

Not just the spamming.

It's the atmosphere. Something changed. Suddenly, this place went from the best place on the net to a place I don't enjoy being at anymore. I know that's simply personal preference, but I have heard from others that they have noticed a change, too, whatever the hell it is.

ok...so the vibe has changed..it's not a matter of the spamming or hijacking of threads..for you after being away, well in and out, you come back and the feel of the forum is different? new members mostly or do you see a change in older members?

I post in the General Chat area if something catches my eye; if it's superficial then so will be my response. However, if it’s a debate then I’ll try and post something more intelligent* and do so with respect to other people’s point of view. Often I feel disappointed that debates here don’t seem to have much legs to them. Perhaps that’s because people aren’t interested in the subject, or don’t want to be drawn into an argument. Perhaps it’s because they feel there’s no point as the thread will get closed if things become heated, or perhaps it’s some other reason I’ve not thought of.
But if people want something less shallow here, then fine, start a thread and if the subjects interesting to me I’ll join in, hopefully so will others.

*Hijacks of threads with crap jokes apart

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back