• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Somerset Maugham: Of Human Bondage

Tlaxcala

Oh my god, I LOVED this book.

I've had this book for a long time but until yesterday I didn't read it beyond the part where Phillip was made fun at his school, because I thought it wasn't that enjoyable. How incredibly wrong I was!

This book was simply beautiful in its portrayal of Phillips' struggle through life and love, as well as the portrayal of many minor characters that had affected Phillip. The book really enabled me to sympathize with characters such as the hopeless and destitute artist Fanny Price, generous Athelny and even the old Dr. South, even though I have never really experienced anything similar to their hardships. Every chracter, including Mildred seemed so realistic and different.

Hmm, maybe I'll have to dig it out, I've had it sitting on my shelf for quite a few years now, somehow it always is on the bottom of the stack. I'm not sure why I've put it off for so long.

I enjoyed this book immensely. It's on my list of favourites. One will not easily forget Philip Carey after reading it.

i love that philip is so flawed - it's what makes him real. he kind of reminded me of Howard Roark in the Fountainhead (only different).

Back