• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Something along the lines of "the Prince of Tides"?

Kwitel

Hi-

Recently finished this classic by Conroy and it may be one of, if not the best book I have ever read.

Beautiful story; incredible charcters, heartwarming/emotive, at times shocking/disturbing, funny...it has everything. And last but not least, really well written.

Can anyone recommend me something based on the above?

Thanks!

Kwitel, it sounds like a family saga is kind of what you're looking for, I LOVED Price of Tides! Try The Way the Crow Flies or Fall on Your Knees by Anne-Marie MacDonald, or maybe Of Bees and Mist by Eric Seitwan

Perhaps Widow for One Year by John Irving. It has the most powerful closing scenes I have ever read in literature. A heart-warming, heart-breaking story, including high farce along the way. A story of living life.

And BTW, another two thumbs up for Prince of Tides.

I'd say maybe Peachtree Road by Anne Rivers Siddons or even The Thorn Birds by Colleen McCullough.

Thank you all for your recommendations.
Recently finished Shantarma and it was fantastic.

Can anyone comment on Beach Music?
Ive only read Lords of Discipline and Prince by Conroy.

"Beach Music" is just as wonderful - in fact, I think I liked it even more than the "Prince of Tides". "South of Broad" was a bit flawed and overly dramatic, but I still loved the vivid atmosphere Conroy is so good at creating.

I'd also like to recommend John Irving, especially "A Prayer for Owen Meany", and I'll second the suggestion of Anne-Marie MacDonald, not just "Fall On Your Knees" but also "The Way the Crow Flies".

Another lovely coming-of-age book I adored was "Red Ruby Heart in a Cold Blue Sea" by Morgan Callan Rogers.

"Beach Music" is just as wonderful - in fact, I think I liked it even more than the "Prince of Tides". "South of Broad" was a bit flawed and overly dramatic, but I still loved the vivid atmosphere Conroy is so good at creating.

I'd also like to recommend John Irving, especially "A Prayer for Owen Meany", and I'll second the suggestion of Anne-Marie MacDonald, not just "Fall On Your Knees" but also "The Way the Crow Flies".

Another lovely coming-of-age book I adored was "Red Ruby Heart in a Cold Blue Sea" by Morgan Callan Rogers.

These look like fantastic recommendations Hedwig; thank you!

You're welcome, Kwitel! I'd love to hear your opinion on these if you read them.

FYI (and, if I can return the favor)-recently read two incredible books (that you likely have already read) but if you havent...get them asap:

Shantaram-Gregory David Roberts
Middlesex-Jeffrey Eugenides

Oh, thanks! Looks like we've got a similar taste. I read and loved Middlesex a while ago, and Shantaram is still somewhere in my vast landscape of unread books ;)

Back