• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Space Opera - Need good titles

oracle33

I read many genres, but in Sci-fi my favorite is Space Opera. I'm tired of being put down for it. I love it and want more. Any great titles for me?

Space opera favorites

So far my favorites have been: The series about Miles by Lois McMaster Bujold; The Liaden Universe novels by Sharon Lee & Steve Miller and all of Jack McDevitt's. A recent find that does not quite fit is the Ukiah Oregon series by Wen Spencer. I read FAST and need new authors! PLEASE!!!!!

What qualifies?

Two that might fit that description:

The Mote in God's Eye by Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle. I think of it as their take on what Star Trek could have been. For one thing, The Book, as the military calls it, would not have been thrown out. Example: ensigns do the dirty work on a planet's surface; the captain stays on the bridge. Super story about a first encounter with aliens.

Downbelow Station by C. J. Cherryh. Classic story, part of a larger tapestry of far-flung space colonies and the nature of alliances between ship-born merchanters and space stationers. Many excellent characters drawn superbly by a master storyteller. I'll throw in a third book: Cherryh's Finity's End coming-of-age story makes a nice coda to DS.

O

Iain M Banks' culture series are spectacular space opera's. I'd go for Consider Phlebas as its his first (some of the later ones require pre-knowledge of hie books) Gigantic super inteligent spaceships, AI all over the place. Excession is great too.

Good choices put forward so far (Bujold's series is enjoyable reading). I'm not that enthusiastic about Consider Phlebas to be honest though- personally I prefer some of Banks' other work including Player of Games and Excession. Mote in Mind's Eye's an excellent novel- first contact with a race that isn't a threat to us, but could be in the future (get your thinking cap on).

For space opera by authors new to the scene, also have a look at Revelation Space by Alastair Reynolds. Vernor Vinge's 'A Fire Upon the Deep' is another one. Both feel pretty epic in scope.

Hamilton's Night Dawn trilogy's worth checking out. It builds and builds (rightly can be called 'epic'), though the final ending couldn't quite live up to the quality of the rest of the story. It's still a worthy addition to a library/collection.

Brin's Uplift saga's good, though the heavier science aspects of the stories may put some people off. Try 'Startide Rising' to start with (book 2 but the stories in the trilogy don't intermingle at all and can be read as standalones).

I have just started reading the Honor Harrington series by David Weber. Classic stuff, sometimes hard to find. Bought mine from the USA, ebay (1-5 so far).

Currently on No. 2 The Honor of the Queen.

I am really enjoying it. Simple Space Opera, space ships, polotics, missiles, lasers, a hero, a enemy. Fast story line.

Get it now

Space Opera

Have you read any of the true classics, such as Doc Smith (Lensmen series, etc.) or A. E. van Vogt (World of Null-A, etc.)? Also, the Flinx series, along with the other Commonwealth stories by Alan Dean Foster are pretty good, and some of Andre Norton's future history stuff certainly qualifies.

Back