• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Special Powers

Leannyw

I'm doing a unit plan for middle schoolers on special powers (i.e. flying, fountain of youth, mind reading, etc.) Could anyone recommend any great books for this age range? I'd really appreciate it!

If the OP is in the UK, then middle school is children aged 8 - 11 :) (aka Junior school)

But junior school starts from age 7! :confused: And if the OP is from the USA, then I'm still no wiser. :)

So You Want to Be a Wizard by Diane Duane

Seventh Son by Orson Scott Card

Hidden Talents by David Lubar

Seventh Son is a little more advanced but not tough to get through because it's just a great story.

Halo said:
But junior school starts from age 7! :confused: And if the OP is from the USA, then I'm still no wiser. :)
Sorry I pressed the wrong button - I meant 7 - 11 :p In some parts of the UK 'middle' can mean 8 - 12 and 9 - 13 :D (Around here middle denotes 7 - 11 though).

KristoCat said:
Right, and I think middle school means ages 11-14 :)

Yes, that's about right for the US.

I'm with KristoCat, So You Want to Be a Wizard by Diane Duane is probably perfect.

hmmm

what a great discussion about the definitive age of a middle-schooler...not exactly what I was hoping for, but insightful all the same :p I wasn't really that concerned about the ages of the student, as I feel you can use even advanced books for younger readers if you make it accessible...so, on that note, if anyone can suggest a book on this subject and guess an age level (UK or whatever :)) for it, that'd be great...thanks so much...you are very much helpful!

Analog's "Children of the Future"
edited by Stanley Schmidt
ISBN: 0385277784
Publisher: Doubleday

Girl with Silver Eyes
Authors: Wild and Willo Davis-Roberts
ISBN: 0590427105
Publisher: Scholastic

Girl with Silver Eyes is good. I was going to suggest it.

Roald Dahl's Matilda is good, too, but again, depends on age group. I'd call both of those 8-10 yrs or perhaps 8-12... but much beyond that in age, and the books are too young. Most after 12 will likely be reading young adult.

Back