• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Speed Reading?

It's better in audio, but an old Robin Williams joke comes to mind.

This poem is for those of you who have taken Evelyn Woods' speed reading: Boop.

Hey, I'm currently working on this skill and am curious if anyone here has perfected it or at least attempted so they can share their thoughts and experiences with speed reading.

Is it real? I always thought it was one of those urban legends? I mean if you skim the words how can you read them?

Is it real? I always thought it was one of those urban legends? I mean if you skim the words how can you read them?

Quoting myself from page 1:

Speed reading is just learning to take advantage of the fact that your eyes and brain can take in information a lot faster than most people read because schools stop teaching any reading skills in the second or third grade and most people never take the time (or even know that they can) develop much beyond that level.

Reading more efficiently does not mean any loss of comprehension because that would entirely defeat the purpose. Any good reading test will test both speed and comprehension and will adjust the speed for comprehension because speed without comprehension is useless.

I read quite fast anyway, I do gloss over things when I've no need to pay specific attention to every word. I do need to do that when reading the books for my thesis as I need to pick out certain words, so that sort of reading is rather a slow process. Anything else goes fast.
I never learned any speed-reading techniques though.

I just want to say, after 4 Austens, P&P is *still* her best. Ugh. I still have Emma and Northanger Abbey.

Northanger Abbey is funny.

Back