• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Spiderman (2002)

Darren

Just watched the new Spiderman film. I've not read any of the comic series but I've been told that it follows the story pretty accurately.

Enjoyed the film, but wouldn't say it was on my "to buy on DVD" list.

wanted to watch it for a bit, but then...

...by the time i got around to being able to watch it, i decided i had better things to do with 9 bucks than blowing it at a movie. Anyways, yeah i heard it was good and stuff from other ppl too...but how come the goblin dude looks so metallic (shouldn't he have a rubber mask?) :p -B

Rubber masks and CGI

GG's costume does differ a lot from the original garb. But if you look at the traditional 1960s/70s look of the character, it's not surprising Raimi & Co changed the style. Just isn't modern or slick enough.

Not seen the flick yet, but in comics circles it's being talked about as the best film adaptation of a superhero comic yet. (Until Ang Lee's Hulk next year, anyway.) Tobey Maguire is Peter Parker in the same way Chris Reeve was Superman.

Looking forward to it - all 77 continuity errors included (that's a record, I think).

Tobytook

I just saw the movie this afternoon. It was entertaining, but I don't think I can say it was a good movie. I didn't have to pay to go see it (my sister got me in for free, yay), so I don't hold a grudge against the producers for ripping me off or anything... Or am I giving the movie too little credit right now? Ah, I don't know what to think of it. :eek:

Colour me puzzled, lies. Did you like or not? Better yet, was it good, regardless of whether you liked it?

(Weird thing to write, maybe, but - for example - I thought the film Three Kings (George Clooney flick, satire on The Gulf War) was very, very good - but it wasn't my cup of tea.)

Tobytook

You can even colour yourself right, Tobytook ;)

I know I didn't really make sense over there, and I'm sorry. (I never do, do I? :rolleyes: ) But I'll give it another try (though I doubt that'll help)

I never read any Spiderman comics (I only watched one of the many shows they made, so I can't comment on whether or not the movie is a disgrace to the comic.

The special effects weren't bad, but they weren't what I'd expected. The actors weren't bad, but they weren't what I'd hoped for (and no, the fact that I seriously dislike Kirsten Dunst has nothing to do with that). To some extent, I liked the movie, and it did have a couple of positive sides to it, but... what it all comes down to: it had more potential.

Just saw the movie and have to say they did a good job. I am operating on dusty Spiderman comic memories, but I think Tobey McGuire even sort of looks like Peter Parker did. The same for Kirsten Dunst and Mary Jane. Even had some good moral lessons and all that stuff you don't expect to see in a movie these days.

I loved it.

I'm surprised everyone is being so hard on this film. It's a blast and the costumes are very cool. I find the scene of Spiderman and the Green Goblin on the roof very surreal. There are two grown men in bright red and green costumes (In the theater these guys are almost 20 feet high!) and you can't see their lips move because they are wearing masks. That is very risky for a movie this expensive, but I think scenes like it helped suspend belief. The colors and poses were so dramatic. It was like Japanese No theater. (sp?)

This movie rocks! If only Batman were done this well.

I also thought the film was really good, considering what I was expecting when I went in to see it. Maybe I just remember it as a good movie as compared to Star Bores, which I also saw that weekend.

lies wrote:
Is that a sarcastic comment?

Nope. Thought it was a great superhero film. Good vs. Evil and all that along with a bit of age old wisdom from Uncle Ben and Aunt Mae. Thats what I meant.

Originally posted by Prolixic
Nope. Thought it was a great superhero film. Good vs. Evil and all that along with a bit of age old wisdom from Uncle Ben and Aunt Mae. Thats what I meant.
Oh, OK then... I thought you might be commenting on the fact that there are quite a few unnecessary "morality lessons" in movies -- with which I would've agreed ;)

Back