• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Stella Gibbons: Cold Comfort Farm

murphyz

I have just read this and thought it was remarkably good, laugh out loud witty, well written and a nicely structured storyline.

Anyone else read it and would like to discuss?

Mxx

I don't know a single thing about this novel. Could you elaborate a bit please, as to main characters, central events (without spoilers, if at all possible), genre, stuff like that.

Cheers, Martin :D

I really enjoyed this book - it was excellent and really funny! I hadn't heard of it until I saw the TV drama starring Kate Beckinsale as Flora Poste (?). I liked it so much, I actually ventured into my local library and sought out the book. Unfortunately, Murphyz, it was so many years ago that I can't remember enough about it to discuss it in depth. All I remember was that it was very good and did a good line in taking the mickey out of stereotypes! Maybe I'll buy it if I can get it cheap somewhere (who said Yorkshire folk were stingy?! ;) )

"There's something nasty in the woodshed!"

Martin.

Cold Comfort Farm is about a young lady by the name of Flora Proste who when we join her at the start of the book is in the unfortunate circumstance of her parents having died. So, she decides that she wants to go and live with a relative...but which one to choose? She decides that she will go for the 'interesting' option of living with the Starkadders at a place called Cold Comfort Farm so that she can try and organise their lives and make them more civilised.

The book was written in the 1930's and is a real hoot with some very good one-liners and characters that are interestingly stereotypical but highly individualistic.

I think one of the reasons why I liked this book so much is that a very close friend of mine is very much like the main character Flora and, coincidentally when I told her this, she remarked her surprise due to the fact Flora Proste is actually one of her literary idols.

Very well written, very easy to read, and definitely worth the £2.50 I picked my copy up for.

Mxx

Back