• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Stephen King, Peter Straub: The Talisman

direstraits

Hi there...

I just finished this book, and would like to ask what other readers thought of this. My general feelings are: started weak, ploy to get Jack to start the quest was too flimsy, and the ending too abrupt and unsatisfying.

Not a bad start, huh?

ds

From what I remember (and it's not alot :rolleyes: ), I loved the premise of the story - the whole concept of parallel worlds, and Twinners ( :confused: ), but I found it hard to stay interested all the way through to the end. :rolleyes: I also didn't really like the character of Wolfie (was that his name? :confused: ). But I remember being really hooked on the first part of the story - Jack's discovery of the parallel world, and his journeys through there - I just loved it; but towards the end, I just lost interest. :confused:

I've had the sequel, Black House, sitting on my shelf since it came out. I've tried to read it twice, but I just can't get past the first chapter. :mad: Too much detail, too descriptive. It doesn't read at all like King, and my guess is that it's Straub who started the book off. :confused: Anyway, I'll be re-reading The Talisman sometime, before I give Black House another go. I'll post my thoughts, when I can actually remember some details about the book. :p

marlasinger said:
I've had the sequel, Black House, sitting on my shelf since it came out. I've tried to read it twice, but I just can't get past the first chapter. :mad: Too much detail, too descriptive. It doesn't read at all like King, and my guess is that it's Straub who started the book off.

I didn't enjoy Black House much at all, even though I liked The Talisman. I'm so familiar with King's style that I could tell exactly which parts he had written, and which parts had been written by Straub (whose style I'm not keen on). Saying that, I did buy Straub's Lost Boy, Lost Girl, but only because it was £1!

ds, I will try to post in your Talisman discussion, even if I have to have the book open next to me to remember it! :eek:

i read it years ago, but i do remember liking the first part. same as marlasinger, with the flipping back and forth from world to world. i also really enjoyed the descriptions of the other world, the way the food tasted better and the air was cleaner. i recall liking the description about the milk. however as the quest went on i grew less and less interested and truthfully could not tell you how it ended.

This is one of my all time favorite books! I went on the journey and felt the danger and anguish. The first time I read it, I had incredibly vivid dreams about the territories. I wanted so badly for the story to continue once it was done that I would imagine possible scenarios. I have to admit that I was somewhat dissappointed in the continuation (Black House), but then I forced myself to read it as if it was its own story and not connected to Talisman. It was a much better read that way. I'm a sucker for King.

The problem I had with the book was the beginning. Since I bought the audiobook for this one, I couldn't just stop, so I just persevered (something I will not have done if I actually had the physical book). Once the story trudged along, it seemed okay. The journey was interesting, and the ending was alright too, but it was too short and abrupt. It's like waiting next to the oven for the cookies to finish baking, and rushing to pour everything into a plate and serving it immediately on the table the moment you hear the 'Ping!'

The problem with the beginning for me is (whew, took a while to get here!):
how an old stranger whom Jack had met not too long ago can convince him to drink some weird liquid on the premise that it'll transport him to another world. Sounds little too much like an old crock wanting to trick unsuspecting children. It was a little too difficult for me to swallow that one. I mean, this guy was promising that if he travelled to this 'territories', he'd have the chance to save the world! Who'd want their child near people like that? And the clincher - his mother agreed to let him go on the road all by himself!

What did the rest of you think?

ds

I read it a long time ago and loved it, but then I was only about 17 at the time. I did re-read the first chapter or so a couple of years ago and couldn't get into it, but then I am rarely able to re-read novels.

The Talisman is an excellent dark fantasy book. I didn't care for it's sequel The Black House.

I enjoyed both books quite a bit. Although, I suppose I have a high tolerance for description. I think what kept me going was all the characters... SK is such a good character writer that it really takes a lot for me to abandon them.

Back