• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Stephen King: The Dark Tower 1: The Gunslinger

Originally posted by Dave B
I also found it unsatisfying in some respects in that a lot of incidents take place without apparent reason or explanation.
I think perhaps that's what drives the reader on - the notion that the next story or episode will help explain or clarify things.

BTW, I totally agree about trying to read it at one sitting. It's also probably one of the few King novels that you can actually accomplish it :D

I don't like the book. I was discouraged by wickedness of the main character, which made all his pursuit of the black guy not interesting. I didn't care if Roland would catch the wizard, or not; if he would be killed, or not. No difference; when two bad guys fight, there is no winner I would be satisfied with.
Another disadvantage: numerous references to the past; in the beginning it was intriguing to know more about a mysterious character, but later they seemed not thought over, nor enough, not giving anything significant to the book. It seemed like King had no reasonable plan where the story will lead to.
And what kind of a name is that: Roland? For a gunslinger? Ridiculous.

so would you recommend it then? im looking for a series to read and i liked Kings previous books, especially the dragons eyes. is this series of books more fantasy than horror?

amy :D

Personally, I wouldn't. It's not a horror; not at all similar to, for example, "Carrie", which I liked. But a lot of people here is very enthusiastic about this book, so maybe you should try it. I don't know how the plot develops, maybe these separate events from the past are going to build a logical story?

i would recommend it. it is my favorite of the dark tower series so far. i am about to start wolves of the calla and then the next book comes out next month. after that there is only one more, i think. you have to like fantasy fiction, though.

I read that King was rewriting / going to rewrite The Gunslinger to make it more compatible with the rest of the Dark Tower. Does anyone know if he did in the end, and if he did, did anyone read it and would care to comment on it?

lies said:
I read that King was rewriting / going to rewrite The Gunslinger to make it more compatible with the rest of the Dark Tower. Does anyone know if he did in the end, and if he did, did anyone read it and would care to comment on it?

lies, I know that he has rewritten the Gunslinger book. I haven't read the revised copy but I heard that he was asked if it was worth rereading it if you'd read the first copy and he said no. I'll probably read it once I read the last one.

Thanks! I was starting to think I'd been dreaming stuff.

I'm not sure where I stand on this re-writing. On the one hand, if it fits the series better this way, it's a good thing, but on the other hand... It's not the original.

Plus which version do you buy? (No, not both -- there isn't enough money for that)

I started on this serie just this summer and a friend told me that the gunslinger was a bit tough to really get a grip on and that I should just keep reading on and when I got to part two things would not be as cryptic.
I liked the first book though, so much that I think I would have bought part two even without her advice.

Roland for me is a name that makes me think of Beowulf, knights in shining armour killing monsters and saving the world and I guess in a way that is what Roland, the gunslinger, thinks he is doing. Is he correct? I don't know yet since I haven't read the whole serie.

I think i may have a thing for these less then perfect heroes. I remember reading the Thomas Covenant serie by Donaldson and loving that one too

The version of the gunslinger I got is the new edition by the way

Roland's a bit of a mystery, I agree. It's funny how I love the kind of character in novels that I'd probably hate in real life, or not get along with too well.

lies said:
Plus which version do you buy? (No, not both -- there isn't enough money for that)

Well, if I were to buy them again I'd probably choose the rewritten version. I'd wish you could go somewhere and see which parts were added to the new book. That way you could cheat and not have to buy it again! :rolleyes:

That'd be nice, yes.

I guess I'll just have to wait what the publishers decide to do. I want to buy the whole lot in one go, and I guess they'll decide for me that way.

Phew. I'd hate to make my own decisions.

jema said:
Roland for me is a name that makes me think of Beowulf, knights in shining armour killing monsters and saving the world and I guess in a way that is what Roland, the gunslinger, thinks he is doing.
Good association. A name "Roland" is in fact a symbol of sacrifice, greatness, honour, morality, fighting with evil powers, loyalty to the ethical code. This term stems from one of Charles the Great's paladines, Roland, who died while fighting with the Muslims.

well i have the gunslinfer on my shelf to read. but im a quarter of the way through Magician so il read that first. its ok so far. a bit lord of the rings ish!

amy :D

I had a hard time getting into the Gunslinger, but I'm glad I've not given up on the series. I LOVED The Drawing of the Three and The Waste Lands. I'm taking my time getting through this series, but I do look forward to finishing it now that all 7 books have been released.

Bernard said:
Well, if I were to buy them again I'd probably choose the rewritten version. I'd wish you could go somewhere and see which parts were added to the new book. That way you could cheat and not have to buy it again! :rolleyes:

Just noticed this post but the website www.darktower.net has a section doing exactly that if you are still interested!

It is indeed. I thought it was so fantastic that when I finished the last book I started right from the beginning again!

I hope I don't get in trouble for writing this, but I just had to say this is one of my favorite series so far ( I am on #6) as you can see by my name. :)

Back