• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Stephen King: The Stand

Hi everybody,

I have recently read The Stand by Stephen King, and it is a really great book. However, I was a little dissapointed with the 'horror' aspect of the whole thing ... not once was I actually scared with what was about to happen ... maybe thrilled (?) but frightened? - No way!

Does anybody else think this or is it just me?
Thanks,

tommydarascal

Well, I never really thought of The Stand as a horror novel. I think Stephen King is often misrepresented when he is called the 'King of Horror', as he writes a lot of other genres.

I agree with you that The Stand is a really great book. It's one of my favourites. :)

Yeah, it is not really one of his 'Horror' novels ... it has a touch of that genre but I dont think that is its main driving force. Certainly not in the same way that it is for books like 'It'.

It is a fantastic read though :)

Phil

When I seen the movie on television years ago my sister-in-law said that I should read the book because it was much better. I just haven't gotten around to it yet. I haven't read anything by Stephen King in like... two years? Shameful really since I still have a couple of his books on my shelves that I haven't finished reading.

Great book. Definitely one of his bests... most fans debate on whether this or The Dark Tower is his "magnum opus."

Other Stand links on TBF (a merge perhaps?):
one
two
three

my next book to read will probably be either The Stand by King or Blood Meridian by McCarthy. I haven't decided yet.

I've read it at least twice, the uncut edition, got into it after getting involved in an online RPG (I love Yahoogroups RPGs and such). I've tried again but I keep winding up not finishing somehow.

I was actually thinking about it while watching some of the Katrina scenes this past summer...the way some things were happening in the aftermath was kinda life imitating art.

Anyhow it's one of the few books to give me actual creeps...have read two King books, that one and Running Man and both did it.

I've seen the movie as well.

I have had this book on my shelf for 12 YEARS!!, and was always put off starting it due to the length. I have the uncut version which runs at 1400 pages. However, I started reading it last week and cant put it down.

I know this thread is old now but I couldnt resist posting. It is a horror book in my opinion (not a genre I am greatl fond of) but horror in a more realistic sense. When King describes the spread of the superflu it brings to mind the media scare mongering to the possible bird flu mutation that threatens to kill us all apparently.

I am only 400 pages in at the minute but its surpassing my expectations greatly.

One thing, I have read forums elsewhere about 'The Stand' and opinion is divided about which version is better. Cut or uncut. What do you think?

One thing, I have read forums elsewhere about 'The Stand' and opinion is divided about which version is better. Cut or uncut. What do you think?

I liked them both. I don't remember much about the differences between the two, except for the ending.

There really was no reason to publish the original/extended version. Nothing important was added to the story or to character development. It was fun to read though, to try and figure out what was new -- especially if it had been years since the first read.

I read both It and The Stand when I was 14 years old. They were the first big books I had ever read and the first Stephen King books I had ever read. As a result they stand out very vividly in my memory.

The Stand had some scary parts, and it was an incredible book, but I would not classify it as horror. It is horror. The problem is many people classify all Stephen King books as horror. He is truly one of the best horror writers of all time, but he is not JUST a horror writer.

I never got around to reading Salem's Lot or The Shining. I have just started Salem's Lot.

Sadly I am not getting to read as much as would like at the minute for one reason or another but I am past page 1000 and loving every second of it.

Its actually renewed my interest in Stephen King. I havent read any of his stuff since 'Bag Of Bones' which was ok but not great in my opinion. Years back I read stuff like 'Pet Sematary' and 'The Dead Zone'' but just think that in recent years his output has been patchy to say the least. I couldnt get into 'Cell' and dont like the look of 'Duma Key' but I am thinking of going back to read some of the earlier ones I havent read, especially now I have found out that some of the stories/characters intertwine with the 'Dark Tower' series which I am planning on reading.

Can anybody recommend any of the later stuff?

Sadly I am not getting to read as much as would like at the minute for one reason or another but I am past page 1000 and loving every second of it.
[...]
Can anybody recommend any of the later stuff?
I'm glad you're enjoying The Stand. It would be hard not to. It's such a fantastic piece. I would love to someday go back and reread it, but there's so many other books I'd like to read for the first time. Well, someday then.
As for the later stuff, I tried so hard to get into Lisey's Story and couldn't make it past the first chapter or so. I found myself bored - rereading the same page because I realized that I wasn't really paying attention. I read Cell in a couple days. It's like a quick fast paced version of The Stand (imo). Unlike The Stand, there's no time to fall in love with the characters and actually care about them and what happens to them. It was interesting. I don't really think I've read any other "recent" books of his.
His new collection of short stories looks promising though.
( http://www.bookandreader.com/forums/f27/stephen-king-just-after-sunset-17195.html )

My favorite Steven King book is "The Talisman" co-written by Peter Straub...Again not one of the most "horrific" books I have read, but still a great read.

P.S Sequel is "Black House"

I loved The Stand. It was recommended to me by a guy that I used to work with, because it was his favorite book. I started reading it and just could not stop. I really loved that it wasn't a typical Stephen King, in that it wasn't crazy scary like IT.

I had to read this book for school. Picked from atleast 40 books, I had to read this just because Stephen King wrote it. Well, I finished it in 2 weeks, completely sucked in on every page. I'm surprised at how much was added in the Complete Edition though. He said 500 pages were taken out. I need to read the cut edition just to see the difference now!

When I seen the movie on television years ago my sister-in-law said that I should read the book because it was much better. I just haven't gotten around to it yet. I haven't read anything by Stephen King in like... two years? Shameful really since I still have a couple of his books on my shelves that I haven't finished reading.

I was the same way,...it was actually the Stand mini-series that turned me onto Gary Sinise, who is now one of my favorite actors.

But I heeded advice and read the book...very good and of course, much better in print than on screen. (but I thought the mini-series was all right :) )

Back