• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Stephen King: Wolves Of The Calla

lies

I finally managed to take Wolves of the Calla home from the library with me. I was surprised to realize I'd forgotten a lot about the previous four books (it's been a while though), but once I got back into the swing of things, I was hooked as ever. I did have to put it down after the first part and get some studying done, cause if I hadn't, I'd probably still be reading, and where would that leave me?

The illustrations were definitely not my cup of tea.

So, who else has read it / is reading?

(P.S.: I'm sorry, dearest moderators, I only realize now this probably should've been posted on the science fiction/fantasy forum.)

So lies, how is it?

I keep seeing it at the bookstore, but just can't bring myself to buy the hardcover, even when it's 30% off.

Should I wait for the paperback, buy the HC, or just get it from the library? (I have the previous ones in trade paperback.)

Ell :)

I had the same dilemma Ell but I don't think the paperback is coming out for ages yet so I gave in and bought the hardback. Part of my reasoning for this was that the next book is out this week and are you going to be able to wait for that one to come out in paper back as well? I know I couldn't :D

I really enjoyed Wolves of the Calla - I read it over the last bank holiday weekend and was completely engrossed. The quest for the Tower goes ever on and I can't wait for the next installment. Go get it!

Just checked Amazon and it says it is not out in paperback until 3 January 2005 and it costs £9.09 so it is not exactly cheap in paperback either .... go for the hardback or ask Martin to buy it for you :D

I enjoyed reading it as well (just finished it yesterday) -- I just wish King would speed things up a bit and tell us about the dark tower already...

All the anticipation will be worth it though when you have the final book in your hands and all is finally revealed. (At least I sincerely hope so because if the whole thing is not finished off in a fantastic way I will be very annoyed with Mr King!) In fact, if the ending is not good enough we could go and kidnap him and make him keep re-writing the end a la Kathy Bates in Misery :D

In fact, if the ending is not good enough we could go and kidnap him and make him keep re-writing the end a la Kathy Bates in Misery
Now there's an idea! :eek:

Actually, one of my fears is that the ending won't be any good - 'cause if there's any major fault I find in King's writing, it's his endings.

Just checked Amazon Canada and the paperback will be $19.25 versus $24 for the hardcover after discount. Hmmm, if I forego one latte it would make up the difference . . . Okay, I'll breakdown and buy the hardcover. :D

Ell

Lies, it has been awhile (like a few years) since I read the last book in this series. How hard do you think it will be to get into Wolves of the Calla? I have it and I picked it up to try and start reading it the other day, but I realized that I don't remember much. Will that be a problem?

Jules said:
Lies, it has been awhile (like a few years) since I read the last book in this series. How hard do you think it will be to get into Wolves of the Calla? I have it and I picked it up to try and start reading it the other day, but I realized that I don't remember much. Will that be a problem?
It had only been a bit over a year for me, but I had trouble remembering things as well. Does the version you have have an introduction? Cause in the one I had King gave a short summary about the first four books... And maybe it'll take a while to get back into the swing of it, but it all came back to me bit by bit... But that's just me.

It does have an introduction and that is what scared me the most. After I read it, it still didn't ring any bells of remembrance. I think I'll be stuck re-reading either the whole set or at least the last one :(

i finished wolves of the calla and am 40 pages away from the end of song of susannah. i enjoyed them. it had been some time since i read the rest of the dark tower series, but even so, the intro brought it all back. However, i think you could start wolves and not be lost. all the truly necessary references are explained. i'm really enjoying song of susannah, more so than wolves, but, they were both pretty good especially given the fact that my favorite genre is definitely not fantasy.

graydaisy said:
i finished wolves of the calla and am 40 pages away from the end of song of susannah. i enjoyed them. it had been some time since i read the rest of the dark tower series, but even so, the intro brought it all back. However, i think you could start wolves and not be lost. all the truly necessary references are explained. i'm really enjoying song of susannah, more so than wolves, but, they were both pretty good especially given the fact that my favorite genre is definitely not fantasy.

Ah, now I want to read Song of Susannah even more... But I'll have to wait until the library buys it for me I guess... Or until the entire series is completed and I can buy the whole series in one go.

I finished Song of Susannah the other day, and was quite impressed. King did quite a good job at portraying himself, there are more connections to his other books, and there was a nice shootout. My only problem with the book was that it was too short :)

My ranking of the Dark Tower books:

1) The Waste Lands
2) Wolves of the Calla
3) Song of Susannah
4) The Drawing of the Three
5) The Gunslinger
6) Wizard and Glass

I just finished it last night and now agree that it was a bit short - quite a lot happened in terms of understanding more about the dark tower but not much happened if you know what I mean. Fantastic build up to the last book though - I don't know how I will wait until it comes out.

As an aside, I now have the whole 'Calla' way of talking stuck in my head. This happens to me quite often if a book is written in a strong dialogue - eg Irvine Welsh. It takes me ages to get those speach patterns out of mind! Does this happen to anyone else?

Hear her well. i say thankya. i read wizard and glass years ago, and i still find myself wanting to say thankee sai.

Lyra said:
It takes me ages to get those speach patterns out of mind! Does this happen to anyone else?
Speech patterns, but words as well. I thought at first it was something that happened to non-native speakers (cause we're easily influenced or something), but I'm glad I'm not alone!

Back