• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Stephen King

Ian,

Another point of view: I really liked Four Past Midnight. Seeing as you are short on reading time and It might take 'til Christmas to finish, the four novellas in FPM might be worth a try. At least you'll get through them faster. I've always been fond of King's novella compilations (particularly "Different Seasons"), but you won't go wrong with "It" either.

Four Past Midnight was pretty good. I guess I'm not one for novellas. The novella about the camera was good. It's been awhile so I can't remember the name.

Thanks for all your replies. It looks like "It" it is.

You have all now made me curious to read the "door stoppers" to see if the "weight" is correct for them to act the part.

Regards to all Stephen King fans, Ian

I just noticed yesterday that King has a new book out. "Everything's Evenual". It looks interesting. It's a collection of 14 short stories.

Anyone reading it yet?

Originally posted by lies
I've never really been a King fan. I did like a piece of his I read last year, The Little Sisters of Eluria (it appeared in a collection of short fantasy stories called Legends, and it made me wanna read more of his Dark Tower), though I think it's safe to say that that must've been the first piece of writing by Stephen King that I could truly appreciate... Then again: maybe I always pick out the wrong books?

Stephen King never really did anything for me until I saw the miniseries version of The Stand; I just started the uncut version of the book a couple of weeks ago, and am reading it verrrrrry slowwwwwwwwwly (mainly because my nonfiction reading list is already too long). I'm on page 94, and it reads like Nobel Prize material. Nothing else he's written has grabbed me like that.

Cheers,

I love most of them. If I had to suggest one to get you started, I would say Pet Semetary as it is scary and a good example of his early work. If you are more interested in mainstream fiction, I would say Different Seasons, which contains The Body (Stand by Me) and Rita Hayeworth and the Shawshank REdemption (The Shawshank Redemption). If you prefer Fantasy, I would suggest either Eyes of the Dragon or The Gunslinger. Both are fantastic.

Mike

I would suggest The Dark Tower series. The Gunslinger Savage Henry mentioned is the first in the series. My personal favorites are:

The Stand (one of his best)
It
The Shining

I'm sure I'm forgetting some. Enjoy and let us know what you think!

Personally, I like every King book I've read, and my favourite is Carrie, probably because that was the first Stephen King book I read. I also agree with Dawn and savage_henry: The Stand and Pet Sematary were great, :)

I've just read "Black House" by Stephen King & Peter Straub. Has anyone who has read it found a difference in the normal style of writing?

I've just read "Black House" by Stephen King & Peter Straub. Has anyone who has read it found a difference in the normal style of writing?

In "the" normal style of writing, or in "his" normal style of writing?

I agree with savage_henry and Dawn: The Dark Tower series are the only books by Stephen King that have been able to work their way into my system.

The Dark Tower (and counting)
- The Gunslinger
- The Drawing of the Three
- The Waste Lands
- Wizard and Glass

I read The Stand I don't know how many years ago--way before it was a made for TV movie. I thought it was a well written and well thought out book. Good characters, plot and setting--very vivid all. If these are hallmarks of all of King's work then I'll have to read some more.

P.S. I forgot to add that while I enjoyed The Stand, I just can't, as a rule, get into that horror thing. Life itself seems to be too full horrible things.

Some of his books are more fantasy than horror. The Dark Tower series, for instance. There are some horror elements, but it's mostly fantasy. The Stand wasn't purely horror, either. It had alot of fantasy elements. That's what makes his books interesting. You always get a little more.

I noticed the difference in The Talisman, too. I guess that's to be expected since he co-authored both.

The only Stephen King book I read was Firestarter and I also seen the film adaption and it was a great gripping plot. Drew Barrymore starred in the film as Charlie, a girl who could cause fires at will.

Re: Black House. A good read but, like `the Talisman, both King and Straub have reinforced each other's tendency to sentimentality to the point where certain passages might actually give the reader diabetes.

I liked Christine and It.

He don't write pretty, but he's a master storyteller.

Skeleton Crew, a book of short stories, was a fun read.

It is a really big book. It's big on ideas and it's nice and long. You can really chew on it for a while. And both novels are about young people. King writes great books about kids and teens.

Thanx, all u guys, for the many comments and suggestions! Just read From a Buick 8 and Everything's Eventual. The short stories were great (enjoyed 'Lunch at Gotham Cafe') and From a Buick 8 was very engaging.

Back