• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Steps for writing chapters

Xeon said:
Hi Eugene! I've a question. I notice that you, like many fine authors, are able to come up with imaginative sentences made up of abstract and interesting words.

He rocked gently on his knees, hands to his face. Tears squeezed through his fingers. Something cold and wet and salty touched his lips. When finally he spoke, "Why?" he choked.

or:

A gunshot cracked through half-lifted shutters into the morning room dappled with white sun, lifting the silence.

How did folks like you come up with such a combination of creative sentences? Is it by nature or what?

Thanks! :)
Xeon.

Gee, Xeon. I guess over time, variations of ideas begin to come naturally. I don't think too much over them any more. It didn't start there, though. I look at some of my old stuff and amaze at how I ever thought anyone could read them. In today's era when editors/publishers/ writers prefer fewer and fewer adjectives, one is left with word play, verbalising nouns, personification, compression. A very good writer, Margaret Wilkinson advices to bring objects, abstract concepts, physical states, features of landscape, a plant, human emotions etc to life. Say if you were a styrofoam cup in the bottom of a bin:
What do you do all day?
What is your skin like?
What is your greatest fear?
What do you think about people?
What's inside you?
What sounds remind you of the past?
What do you imagine will become of you?
What is the most secret thing you know?
She describes this:
Instruments of iron lie on my desk. They are employed for slowly moving the bolts of a lock forwards or backwards. One is long and heavier than the rest. It fits into the exact space contrived for it.
There is something scary about this, perfect for torture. But she is just describing her keys.

-

Thanks for the tips, Eugene and Cathy. :)
Seems that I still have some way to go before I can reach that level!

Have a sweet day,
Xeon.

Xeon said:
Thanks for the tips, Eugene and Cathy. :)
Seems that I still have some way to go before I can reach that level!
Have a sweet day,Xeon.
Maybe you're already there, Xeon. Post something on the showcase, see it from another person's eyes. Once you find your voice, it doesn't really matter, as long as it says what you want to say.

I definitely agree with this approach. Normally, when I start out, I like to make an outline as well, making the oevrall topics the major scenes and anything minor underscored and so on. I like this approach of an outline because it allows me to get the characters' emotions and/or stimuli in order and I am also able to structure the story in a very easy and efficent way. Afterwards, though, when starting on the draft, the best approach is to revise revise revise. Nothing is ever perfect.

Back