• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Still Not Sure What eReader to Get!

alexnl

I'm still not sure what eReader to get. I've looked at the Kindle, the Sony versions, the Nook, the Kobo, the bla, the bla, the bla, etc. There are so many of them!

Most important features are:
-long-ass battery life
-able to read ePub format
-light and fast
-Must work with a Mac
-Good price!

I downloaded and installed Calibre on my Mac and I'm ready to go. Now I just need to buy one.

What do you use?

Thanks!
Alex

If you are only going to use for reading and more reading, then Kindle is most appropriate. In your most important features, you may want to include these:

1. Easy on the eyes :)
2. Outdoor reading :cool:

For 1. - For those with back lit LED/LCD, reading it in the long run can adversely affect our eyes.

For 2. - I was at a beach resort two months back, and using the Kindle (the current 6" version) under the shady tree, on the beach deck chair and a glass of cold beer beside me... :)

I still prefer a tablet to a dedicated ereader. The extra costs are far outweighed by the total utility and usefulness of a tablet vs. a dedicated reader like the Kindle. The Kindle Fire (I think that's what it's called) looks to be aiming to change this though!

Tablets, smartphones, PC's and anything with a backlighted screen is almost impossible to read outdoors. I tried that a couple of weeks ago and the only device that can handle those conditions (eg. a beach cot) is a Kindle or similar "epaper" screened device.

Back