• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Story beginning

Novella says:

"You really should watch the condescending tone. I've been a professional editor for 20 years (in both sci/tech professional and trade) and a self-supporting freelance writer for 10, with several pieces of published fiction."

Well, excuse me for breathing, Mr Professional...if you have been an editor for 20 years, then you should know people are going to make comments if you post up seeking comments. At least I liked your work. 'They' tore my stories to shreds. (lol)

No one was being condescending. I am not a mind-reader. I had no idea of your previous history until now.

Novella says:

.if you have been an editor for 20 years, then you should know people are going to make comments if you post up seeking comments. At least I liked your work. 'They' tore my stories to shreds. (lol)

No one was being condescending. I am not a mind-reader. I had no idea of your previous history until now.

Sure people will make comments. And I will engage in a dialogue about those comments if I feel like it. So what. I think telling someone that you could find nothing wrong with their work says much more about you than about their work. You don't need to be a mindreader to be polite.

As an acquisitions editor I would never accept work that needed to be torn to shreds. As a writer, my agent would never send anything out that needed to be torn to shreds.

My experience with the editorial process has always been great, with a few notable exceptions. Years ago I edited the work of a terrible fiction writer with a big ego. It was a nightmare, and one that I have not repeated. When you can choose what you work on, that should never happen. Even editing poetry, which IMO is the most difficult, has been fine, in terms of the editor/writer relationship.

ago I edited the work of a terrible fiction writer with a big ego.

*Skeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!*

Please oh, please oh, please oh, please give me the book name and author. I like it when cocky writers suck ass. Sort of like that one old hag who wrote the uh...the er...it had to do with some bird and some black guy on trial for rape...mocking? Mocking Trial? I don't know, but it sucked. So did the author.

So what was this guy's name?

Back